Fall in Love With Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Can’t you feel it? The weather’s turning cooler, the leaves are changing. With the day getting shorter and brisker, it’s no secret that fall is a favorite season among students. So what makes fall so exciting? Three words: food, weather, fun.

Food
The sweet aromas of fall makes it so hard not to get excited about the delicious foods and hot beverages. After all, Starbucks has finally announced the return of pumpkin spice lattes – just one of the favorite fall drinks. Other favorites include apple cider, hot chocolate, and hot tea and coffee. All are perfect to have while you’re walking to class or chilling on the mall.

“Fall drinks are full of flavor and rich in spice whereas summer drinks tend to be more fruity, soft and less in your face,” said junior business major, Lindsay Djuhadi.

But you can’t forget about the food either. After all, tis’ the season for baking and cooking! The delicious sweet potato and pumpkin pies topped with the irresistible scents of cinnamon and nutmeg, the array of cookies lying on the baking sheet, and pot roast boiling in the slow-cooker. Talk about food coma.

Ambience
“I think the weather’s perfect. It’s not too hot and you don’t need a jacket.” The words of Josie Callahan, senior English major, ring true around campus. There’s no argument that after the sweltering heat of summer, the brisk breeze of fall is a welcome change.

“You’re not melting anymore,” said Cassidy Cornblatt, sophomore Biochemistry, Genetics and English double major.

Even if stress is piling on, take a moment and soak in the miracle taking place around you. Quiet walks, birds chirping, wind rustling, dry leaves crunching.

Not only is the temperature and humidity dropping, fall is the only season where the leaves change colors. The burnt oranges, yellows and reds surround campus turning more vibrant every day.

“I like the colors because it’s a variety. It’s different,” said Cornblatt. Yes, the bright oranges and golds are definitely a welcome change from the green we’ve seen all summer.

And just as the leaves are changing colors so does the fashion. Get excited to bring out those fall essentials UMD! Warm and comfy, these scarves, boots and sweatshirts make being stylish so easy.

Fun

Of course fall is all about having fun. From football games to pumpkin picking to bonfires to family gatherings it’s hard to be depressed. There are corn mazes and haunted hay rides. If being scared isn’t your thing, drop by a local county fair. Have a caramel apple or a funnel cake in the spirit of fall.

If nothing else this fall, going to a football game is a must for all college students – even if you don’t care for the sport. There’s nothing more exciting than standing in the stands with hundreds of other students cheering on your team.
But what makes fall really special? Most definitely the holidays. Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas is where it’s at.

Sophomore psychology major Nicole Ruszkay loves Halloween because “it’s so exciting to see everyone dressed up.” No one is stressed and everyone is having fun. There are parties everywhere and it’s an excuse to act ridiculous!

And who can forget Thanksgiving!!! “When you smell that turkey roasting, sweet potatoes baking and pumpkin pie calling your name, you know it’s the best day of the year,” said Djuhadi.

So what’s not to love about fall? You get warm drinks, awesome fashion, and more fun than imagined. You’re no longer dying from the heat and sitting out on the mall becomes worry free. No more sunburns.

All the more reason to fall in love with fall.

Photo Credit: Hannah Chang