Every Rose Has Its Thorns: Recapping Season 23 of The Bachelor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Every season, the beloved tv host Chris Harrison promises it will be the most dramatic ever. This season, of course, was no exception. 27-year-old Colton Underwood was chosen as America’s next Bachelor after being sent home on season 14 of “The Bachelorette.” With his sweet, boy-next-door looks, the former professional football player entered the season with America asking only one question – will Colton lose his virginity this season?

This past week, women everywhere settled in with a nice big glass of wine in preparation for the two-night explosive finale. After starting with over 30 women, Colton had narrowed down his choices last week, with Cassie, Tayisha and Hannah G. all seemingly vying for a rock on their finger at the end of it all. In his on-camera interviews, Colton made it clear that he was in love with Cassie and wants to spend the rest of his life with her.

Vulture.com

As many of us know, however, in the world of The Bachelor it’s never an easy happily-ever-after. While meeting Cassie’s family during the hometowns week, Colton asked for her father’s blessing. Playing into the most dramatic season ever, Cassie’s father denied Colton’s request. Plot twist.

“In an everyday perspective I guess Cassie’s dad’s rejection makes sense. This entire time Colton has technically been dating a bunch of other women and how can you know you’re ready for marriage after knowing someone for only like two months,” Alaina Cohen, a dedicated viewer of The Bachelor said.

Cassie revealed her conflicted feelings for Colton while on their date in Portugal and just when things seemed like they couldn’t get more twisted, Cassie’s father showed up and seemingly talked Cassie out of the relationship entirely. In another turn of events, Cassie broke up with Colton, and made the decision to leave Colton with his heart in his hands.

“I think Cassie leaving Colton was one of the most difficult scenes I’ve ever watched on the show,” sophomore and Bachelor-fanatic Taylor Gundlach said. “Truthfully, I never saw it coming as the show always makes it seem like the chosen relationship works out one way or another.”

All of these events combined to make a roller coaster of a season finale, as Colton sent home both Tayish and Hannah, leaving him with… no one. In another unprecedented turn of events, Colton went to see Cassie and explained that even if engagement wasn’t the immediate next step in their relationship, he just wanted to be with her.

The new couple appeared on the live portion of the show seeming happy with their new status and excited to see what the future holds for them. Colton Underwood’s Instagram

Jen Mandato

Maryland '21

Hi everyone, my name's Jen and I'm a sophomore at the University of Maryland! I'm double majoring in Multi-Platform Journalism and Government & Politics and hope to one day be a political news reporter! In my free time, I can typically be found bragging about Jersey bagels and pizza, watching the New York Yankees, or getting involved on campus with my sorority, Alpha Phi!
Ambriah Underwood is an avid reader and writer. In 2016, she graduated from Baltimore City College high school becoming an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme recipient. She attends the University of Maryland as a senior, pursuing a degree in journalism with a minor in Spanish. During the spring of 2018, she copyedited news, opinion and diversion sections for an on-campus, student-run publication known as The Diamondback. After spending a year writing for Her Campus Maryland, and, later, functioning as an editor as well, she became co-Campus Correspondent. She plans to further her involvement with the group as well as gain more editorial experience through internships and by continuing her passion for storytelling. Ambriah Underwood resides in Washington County, Maryland.