This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Imagine: you’ve walked into a holiday party and you zero in on a table of holiday treats. This place has got everything, including those savory latkes you’ve wanted for the past year. The temptation is overwhelming. Should you go for it? Not so fast.

According to www.Health.com, “Even though potato pancakes are a well-liked holiday substitute for mashed potatoes, they’re battered with egg, flour, and breadcrumbs, and then fried in oil. And who can just stop with one?”
Ah, the unfortunate event of finding out your favorite holiday treat is not such a treat. It’s a realization that nobody wants to come to. And although it may seem that it does not occur too often, there are many other foods to avoid during the holiday season as well.

“ I’m actually avoiding candy canes because they are just solid sticks of sugar”, freshman dietics major Laura Silver said.

It seems Silver may be on to something. Though candy canes are one of the most prominent (and exciting!) signs of the holiday season, they are perhaps one of the worst treats to snack on.

According to www.Health.com ,“ There’s no way to avoid the fact that candy canes are pure sugar and vinegar. They’re only 60 calories apiece but don’t offer any nourishment.”

However, candy canes are not the only sweet treat to avoid this season. Any dessert fan knows the holiday season means sugar cookies, especially ones with reindeers or Santa printed on them. But when we take a bite out of those satisfying cookies, we’re getting much more than what we signed up for. 

“ I’m avoiding cookies because once I have one I can’t stop and they’re fattening”, freshman dietics major Jillian Megruen said.

Besides the amount of fat, sugar cookies are high in flour, butter, and egg content as well. However, cookies may not be our biggest enemy of the holiday season.
To dessert fans near and far, it’s no shock that cakes and pies should be avoided during the holiday season. Though many like to justify that an apple pie is healthy (hey, there’s fruit), if you see a cheesecake on the table run the other way. Or at least that’s what freshman journalism major Amanda Black is going to do. Black is avoiding cheesecake because it’s, “ so high in fat and a lot of calories.”

Though it’s a no-brainer that dessert is never the best choice, many are unaware that some holiday dinner dishes should be toned down as well. For example, those looking forward to a juicy piece of prime rib should think twice.

According to voices.yahoo.com, “ Prime rib holiday cut comes from the fattest part of the cow.”

www.Health.com agrees explaining, “ One piece of prime rib can house up to 750 calories and 45 grams of fat, without the added sauce or seasoning!”

The holiday season is a time of year that brings excitement for everything from time with family to the traditional food your family will prepare. Though it is not wrong to treat yourself every now and then, some foods should not make it to the plate.