From Drab to Fab: How to Spruce Up Your Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Let’s face it; most on and off-campus apartments are in desperate need of a makeover. The bland white walls and out-of-date furniture are simply a cry for inspiration. Since hiring an interior designer is a bit drastic and college students have a strict budget, here are some cheap and easy ways to spruce up your apartment.

Most furniture in apartments is either uncomfortable or oddly patterned. Covering the couches with colorful sheets from home, throw blankets and pillows is a quick way to make them look comfortable yet stylish. The droopy look seems effortless but adds a very homey feel.

Sophomore government and politics major Marisa Flores thinks making her apartment homey is very important. “I think it’s about making it your own space and taking things from home and transferring it into your new place,” Flores said. “It’s your home away from home and your sanctuary when you’re at school. I try making things colorful, comfortable and inviting.”

Some apartment complexes like Leonardtown and Knox Towers have shelves on the walls that look boring and empty. Filling them up with picture frames, candles, and cheap decorative vases instantly adds personality. There doesn’t even have to be a color scheme, that’s the beauty of college apartments.

If furniture is not included, an article in the HuffingtonPost.com suggests going to IKEA for their stylish furniture pieces that are inexpensive and self-assembled. IKEA is easily accessible for students as well, since it happens to be down the road from College Park.

The Huffington Post also recommends going to a local unfinished furniture store for bookcases. Not only are they beneficial for college students, but also add a touch of personality. The books on a shelf can tell a lot about a person and it fills open spaces in a bigger living room.

If buying a bookshelf is not an option, sophomore Sarah Siguenza, a journalism and government and politics major, said her roommate took the top shelf of her desk off and used it as a small bookshelf. This could go anywhere and look innovative and scholarly.

For a more Zen and relaxed feel, bring lamps from home with funky looking lampshades and turn off the florescent lights on the ceiling. They can be very bright and unpleasant. The tall, colorful lamps with the multiple bulbs can be very dorm-like, and upgrading to short table lamps in the living room adds a more mature feel.

A blog on HGTV.com by interior decorator Brian Patrick Flynn recommends using vinyl decals instead of posters tacked to walls. It’s a great way to fill white space aside from the picture collages and music posters. Since painting isn’t an option, decals with fun graphics are a great alternative and they peal right off. Since most come in black there’s no stress over color options.

Rugs are another apartment decorating must-have. They can break up a room with cool colors and patterns. Again, college decorating isn’t about matching; it’s about bringing a bit of home, style and inspiration into a temporary living space. Wall tapestries and rugs are a brilliant way to do that.

Hopefully these tips given by professionals and students around campus can help you add personality and flair to your apartment. Making the transition from dorm life to apartments can be exciting, but acquiring a certain look can be challenging. Good luck!