The Dish on UMTV’s Latest Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

When University of Maryland graduate students Annie Emberland and Whitney Harris heard that there was space for a new show on UMTV, they jumped at the chance. Both Emberland and Harris are in their last year of a journalism master’s program here at the Philip Merrill College of Journalism.

After discovering a mutual passion for healthy living, Emberland and Harris decided to combine their love of journalism and broadcast media with their love of healthy food and fitness. The result is a 15-minute high-energy show, The Food Fitness Feed, hosted by Emberland and Harris that airs every couple of weeks on UMTV.

I got to spend some time with Emberland and Harris where we discussed everything from food and fitness to eco-friendly alcohol. What became clear almost immediately was that this show truly is a passion project in every sense. Both girls are set to graduate from their masters program in May and agree that the show is a fun escape from the daily school grind. “We have to be so serious during the day so it’s really nice to have something that’s just fun and that we feel passionately about,” said Emberland.

From flying upside down yoga, to zumba, Emberland and Harris have no shortage of fun ideas for their show. They don’t take exercise too seriously, but instead try to find new, fun and interesting ways to break a sweat. Harris says, “We just really have the creative freedom to just run with it and be crazy and spontaneous, it’s just really fun.”

Emberland says that after just one meeting they had already come up with pages and pages of show ideas.
Once they graduate in May, Emberland and Harris say they would like to see the show continued on in their absence but that they hope to remain involved at least with the blog. As for them, Emberland is hoping to land a local producing job while Harris would like to continue her on camera work and plans to “ hopefully report on air, probably in some small city somewhere”.

Since both Emberland and Harris are not only passionate about food and fitness, they’re also incredibly knowledgeable, I asked them to share their top diet and exercise tips as well as their favorite healthy CP hot spot. Spoiler alert…. it involves eco-friendly cocktails!

TOP DIET AND EXERCISE TIPS

1. Make It Fun.
Emberland and Harris say that the key to a good work out is to make sure you’re having a good time! “If I wake up and it’s really hard for me to get out of bed and go to the gym, I just know I won’t feel good about it afterwards,” says Emberland. Harris suggests trying new classes with your friends to keep things new and exciting.

2. You Don’t Have To Drip Sweat.
Good news ladies! Emberland and Harris both agreed that you don’t have to be a sweaty mess to have had a good workout. Emberland says that an aerial yoga class where she and Harris “basically did yoga upside down in hammocks,” left her feeling sore and satisfied the very next day.

3. Eating Healthy Doesn’t Mean Going Hungry.
Both Emberland and Harris said that to eat healthy you don’t have to deprive yourself. Harris says that she eats healthy at home but gives herself the opportunity to splurge when she eats out. Emberland agrees that sometimes cheating is necessary…on your diet that is.

4. Different Strokes For Different Folks.
Just because it works for your friend doesn’t mean it will work for you. Emberland and Harris both stressed the importance of finding a healthy lifestyle that suits you. Emberland was vegetarian until recently while Harris says she loves meat and pasta. Even though they have vastly different diets, both girls have found a diet and exercise regime that suits their individual bodies and tastes.

5. Everything Can Be Unhealthy.
Unfortunately, everything can be unhealthy if you aren’t careful. Emberland and Harris say it’s not that you should deprive yourself but rather you should be mindful to keep everything in moderation. Even salads can turn into diet destroyers if you load them up with heavy, high fat dressings.

FAVORITE HEALTHY SPOT TO EAT IN COLLEGE PARK:

Annie Emberland: “Ledo’s has really good salads, especially Greek salads. You wouldn’t expect it but they’re great. Of course every now and then I do get the pizza.”

Whitney Harris: “Bus Boys and Poets have a lot of organic and sustainable foods. Even their bar has sustainable alcohol so if you want to go out and get drinks they have some healthier eco-friendly options that are really fun.”