CP’s High Rent Prices Stress Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The combination of a growing student body and lack of on-campus housing at the University of Maryland forces many students to find expensive off-campus living accommodations in the neighborhoods of College Park.

According to a “Cost of Living Comparisons” guide produced by UMD’s Department of Resident Life, the average cost of room and board for an on-campus resident is $1,218 whereas the living, food and utility total for off-campus residents can go up to $1,930 a month.  This depends on whether the renter lives in a low-key location such as a “Knox Box” or a luxury apartment in the new “Varsity.”

Alex Mairone, a senior economics major, believes that College Park rent prices are too high.  He lives in a house with nine other students on College Avenue and believes he is not getting a good bang for his buck. 

“I think it’s insane that I pay over $1,000 a month plus utilities and food to live in an unsafe neighborhood,” Mairone said.  “I lived in New York City this summer, one of the most expensive cities in the world, and paid $1,300 for a studio apartment in Chelsea. I don’t understand how landlords think they can charge students so much for such run-down houses.”

Although many students live in houses in neighborhoods behind the university’s “Graham Cracker,” some students have moved on to newly constructed apartment buildings such as The Varsity, University View and The Enclave. 

Jenny Foit, a senior psychology major, moved into the University View for her senior year and pays just about $1000 a month for her off-campus accommodations.

“When I was a freshman, I lived in University Club, which was not the safest or cleanest, but somewhat affordable,” Foit said.  “If you want to sacrifice safety or luxury, you can find an adequate place to live for about $700 to $800 dollars, which is still a lot for what you’re getting.”

Foit moved from University Club to University View because she wanted a safer and nicer living situation.  However, the cost per month is overwhelming for a student who wants a nice apartment, Foit said.  

“In my old apartment, I had both bug and rodent problems, which is strange because my roommates and I are all very clean people,” Foit said. “I thought it was crazy I was paying $800 a month plus utilities to live in these conditions. I have consistently been shocked and disappointed by the cost of living in College Park and being a student obligated to pay it makes me anxious to move elsewhere after I graduate because I can’t afford to live here much longer.”

Marcela Rivas, a Community Assistant at the University View, agreed that the new apartment complexes in the area are more expensive than other off-campus accommodations but only because they include unique amenities that appeal to college students.

“Our prices may be higher than other apartment buildings but that’s because we have other services like a community staff and a 24-hour courtesy control that takes care of any issues that may arise,” Rivas said.  “We try to make it more personal, it’s not like you’re just walking into your apartment; it’s about experience.”

Although some students might assume the high rent prices are due to College Park’s proximity to Washington D.C., Rivas thinks the new construction around the town is the reason for high rent prices.

“People complain that prices are so high and I thought it was proximity to D.C. at first,” Rivas said.  “However, my boyfriend lives in D.C. and pays less than here…I think the prices have to do with trying to develop College Park and making it more of a college town.”

Although UMD is a public university and seen as somewhat affordable, future students should consider the high costing of living accommodations here, Foit said. 

“I’m so happy I attended the University of Maryland, but the living situation has been a stressful factor for the last four years,” Foit said. “I’ll be happy once I move on to another city with fair rent prices that reflect the value of the property.”