Coming Soon: Terrapin Turf

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Students may finally have a new bar and grill to check out on the weekends, as Terrapin Turf, the bar taking the place of the old Santa Fe Café, gets ready for opening after months of delay over proper building permits.

According to College Park Economic Development Coordinator Michael Stiefvater, owner Salomeh Afshar struggled to get a new fire sprinkler system, which was needed to meet building code requirements.

Though Afshar told the Diamondback in December 2012 that the bar would be up and running by January 2013, the Knox Road bar has remained unopened and appeared to still be under construction at the beginning of the semester.

“Obtaining the necessary permits took a little longer than expected, but these things happen from time to time,” Stiefvater said.

Now that it has been almost nine months since Terrapin Turf was expected to open (in May of last year), some students are growing tired of waiting for renewed nightlife on Route 1 and think that the bar’s opportune time for opening may have passed.

“I think Terrapin Turf is making a big mistake by not opening its doors yet,” said junior communications major Kathryn Flinchbaugh. “The opportunity to get its name out during the Super Bowl and the Duke game would have been huge.”

Though Maryland students like Flinchbaugh are done waiting, there are students who are still anticipating Turf’s opening, which Stiefvater said should be within “the next month or so.”

“I’m excited because my brother used to go there when it was Santa Fe and he said that it looks really tiny on the outside but on the inside it’s huge,” said sophomore kinesiology major Ashley Krogel.

In addition to inheriting a huge space, the Afshars may have an advantage in emulating the unique style of their last venture: Saloun in Georgetown. According to Yelp.com, Saloun had live jazz and was fairly popular with patrons before its closing.

“At Saloun, they offered a diverse set of musical offerings including blues and jazz,” Stiefvater said. “There currently isn’t a place like that in town, so if they follow that model, I’d expect them to stand out from the other area bars.”

Stiefvater thinks that attracting older patrons who may not be students, much like Looney’s Pub does, would be a recipe for success as well. He said that in order for the new bar to be successful, it will have to separate itself from the rest of the “sports bars” on Route 1 such as RJ Bentley’s and Cornerstone Grill and Loft.

Afshar could not be reached for comment.

“If they fail to produce attractive live entertainment, then they might struggle to find their niche amongst the other sports bars in downtown,” Stiefvater said.

Top photo credit: Diambondback

Bottom photo credit: lenscapes.biz