The Collegiette Experience- Senior Year and Beyond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Since I am about to graduate from my senior year of college, I thought it would be fun to talk about what it’s like getting closer to graduation and what to expect post-graduation.

As a senior, it is not only important to keep your grades strong, but also to start looking for internships and potential full-time positions, if you haven’t been doing so already.  Academic advisors usually recommend starting “job hunting” junior year, and I couldn’t agree more.  Having more experience under your belt will help make you a competitive candidate when it comes time for you to be pursuing more serious endeavors. 

If you haven’t garnered enough work experience and are pretty close to graduating from college, fear not!  Just learn to be a great interviewee.  Try to establish great chemistry during your interview so that the focus is less on your resume and more on what you have to say.  Be confident and make every second count!

Speaking of interviews, I’ve definitely made some mistakes in some of mine, so don’t stress out if it turns out a company didn’t accept you.  Try to consider everything objectively and take it all in as a valuable learning experience.  Here are some things I personally learned from my own experiences:

·      Be able to think on your feet.  Don’t assume that your resume says it all.  Employers don’t only want to know if you’re capable, they also want to see if you have some personality.

·      Don’t get discouragedif you don’t hear back from them right away and always follow-up.  Especially at larger organizations, it may take them some time to get back to you, so don’t be afraid to pick up the phone or shoot them an email and ask about your status.
·      Always remember to send a thank you note.  Handwritten notes are best, and the best time to send them is immediately after your interview.  Regardless of whether or not you get accepted, it’s always good to end on a positive note.  In some cases, this could even influence your chances in getting hired.

Also, watch out for any “tricks.”  I made a huge mistake in one interview where I had been interviewed by two of the employees because the actual employer was busy.  The interview seemed to go well, and they reported to the employer afterward.  The employer then wanted to speak with me and told me that they felt they had heard enough, but was there anything else I would like to say.  I had said no, assuming I was all set, and left.  I was way too overconfident and definitely missed a great opportunity to really promote myself to the person that had the greatest influence in the hiring process.

Lastly, remember that it is still extremely important to maintain good grades.  Having a solid grade point average will also help you market yourself to potential employers.

Well, until next time, ladies!  Catch you all again soon!