This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

When it comes to tailgates, seniors feel like seasoned vets the fourth time around. College students love any excuse to hang out outside with their friends all day, but also add some school spirit and a lot of red and you have the highly anticipated tailgate season.

Most people count down the days to when the first tailgate of the year will be and look forward to these day parties as the highlight of their fall semester. Although our football team isn’t really anything to rave about and the attendance at the games is slowly dwindling, tailgates are at an all time best in College Park.

Photo Credit- Jackie Grief 

This year, although we have the traditional six home games, which lead to six amazing and over the top tailgates, there is a slight change to our usually very predictable schedule. This fall our first tailgate of the season is on August 31, which is before classes even start, making for what should be one of the most memorable tailgates in recent years.

Although most students know what they’re in for when tailgate season begins, as freshman just starting out at Maryland, not all of them understand what a tailgate is truly about and how to make the most of the 6 tailgates we are given a year.

Fraternities are notorious for throwing these huge tailgates and the typical attire is anything and everything Maryland related. While most opt for the typical red, many others like to switch up their tailgating wardrobe with a grey, black or yellow shirt here and there. Accessories are highly encouraged in the form of beads, face stickers, sunglasses and hats, among others.

Photo Credit: Michelle Ruth

These tailgates are plentiful and each has the loud, upbeat music that perfectly accompanies the atmosphere of a Maryland tailgate. There are also various tailgates that take place on campus in the parking lots near the stadium and the soccer fields.

This year everyone is highly anticipating the beginning of a new tailgate season and is anxiously awaiting its start. Senior finance and marketing major, Alie Rothman, can not wait for the beginning of the fall 2013 football season, her last as an Undergrad.

“Tailgates are the best time of the year. It’s a time where everyone is happy to be back together at school, showing their Maryland pride and enjoying the last warm days in the sun before winter,” said Rothman.

Nikki Kurtz, a junior communications major, says that she’ll never forget her first tailgate at Maryland.

“It was the game against Miami two years ago,” Kurtz explained. “It was such a nice day, until it started to pour halfway through the tailgate. Even during the worst of the rain, the tailgate never stopped and the energy never slowed down. This was when I knew that the tailgates at Maryland were going to be one of my favorites part of college.”

Photo Credit- Michelle Ruth

Recently, there has been discussion among the Interfraternity Council and Student Government Association to move all tailgates on campus in order to boost student attendance at the games and allow more control over the loud music. However, whether the tailgate is in the backyard of a frat house or in a parking lot on campus, the energy is always high and the school spirit even higher. To that, I say, “Go Terps!”

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.