College Changes: From Freshman to Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

While your four years of college are some of the most important in your life, those four years will fly by…faster than you can sing the UMD anthem. Each year has its pros and cons, with every semester different from the next. Freshman year may seem exciting and new, but each following year comes with exciting and new components as well.  A few students at the University of Maryland have reflected on their time in college so far, highlighting the distinct elements of each year. 

Freshman sociology major Dani Ditchek explains how being a freshman can have its ups and downs:

“This year has been positive so far because it has included meeting new people and having new experiences,” Ditchek said. “But it has also included lots of work…and it has been a hard transition coming in with no friends.”

Sophomore kinesiology major Shira Clements believes that being a sophomore can be both positive and negative:

“This year has been so great because I am already acclimated and have friends to support me, but unfortunately, this year is when I have to start really thinking about the future and worrying about being a person,” Clements said.

Junior finance major Avi Denicoff shares the benefits and shortcomings of junior year:

“Junior year is great socially because by now I really know who my close friends are, and I have developed these friendships over the past two years,” Denicoff said. “Though, junior year is tough because I am only taking major-specific classes…I miss the days when taking fun GenEd classes was an option.”

Finally, senior computer science major Nachmi Kott discusses the advantages and disadvantages of being a senior:

“Senior year is a great time to look back on what you’ve done throughout your years so far, and seeing how you can continue those things or change things up,” Kott said. “At the same time, senior year can be a bit more intense than other years because of applications and figuring out those next steps in life.”

Regardless of whether you’re just starting off your college experience or finishing it, it seems that each year of your time as a college student has its challenges. Like most parts of life, change is inevitable. Change can lead to feelings of nostalgia, but it can also bring about knowledge and growth. If you are unhappy with your current standing in college, look forward to your future years. But focus on the unique positivity that comes with being a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior. Each year in college holds its own significance and meaning, so remember to fondly reflect on the past, but focus on living in the present. 

My name is Meghan Moriarty. I am one of the editor-in-chief's of Her Campus Maryland.