Birthright: A Free, Once in a Lifetime Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Whether someone has grown up attending Hebrew School, gone to a Jewish day school or even if they’re not Jewish at all, almost everyone has at least heard of the Taglit Birthright trip offered to Jewish kids ages 18 to 26.

This trip, that is offered at different points throughout the year, affords young Jewish adults the opportunity to travel all over Israel for ten days, all expenses paid. However, due to the great opportunity that this gives people, the application process becomes slightly competitive and kids all over the country rush to sign up as soon as the application opens.

With many different trip organizers to sign up through, the trip includes amazing experiences such as floating in the Dead Sea, going on a camel ride and exploring the city of Jerusalem.

(Photo Credit to Jessica Herman)

This once in a lifetime opportunity has an outstanding record of giving kids an unforgettable experience and unique memories of Israel.

Taylor Ness, a sophomore elementary education major, went on Birthright last summer with a few friends from home and a lot of people she had never met before and had the most incredible time.

“My experience in Israel is an unforgettable one. I’ve never felt so at home and comfortable in a foreign place. I met amazing Israeli soldiers that I still talk to and plan on seeing when they come to America,” explained Ness of her time in Israel.

While most college students tend to go on the trip at the end of May, when they have finished up school and before they start their summer jobs and internships, the winter session of Birthright has been getting more and more popular among this age group.

Sophomore accounting major, Alyssa Bonventure, just came back from her Birthright experience at the end of January, with amazing stories to tell her friends and family.

“It was an all together amazing experience,” Bonventure explained. “I made some of the most amazing friendships and learned a lot about my Jewish heritage that I was unaware of before I went on the trip. I recommend the trip to anyone who is interested.”