The Best 4 Ways to Keep Your School Year Resolutions!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s a new school year, a new blank slate, a new chance to get all As in your classes, and a new chance to put yourself out there and have more fun than you did the year before. It seems so easy when it’s on paper, but a lot harder to actually keep. But there are many students around campus who are determined to keep this resolution. Myself included.

There are a lot of different ways you can make sure those school year resolutions don’t slide underneath the rug.

1.     STOP PROCRASTINATING!!

I know, I know. Easier said than done but seriously if you have time to knock that assignment out of the way or to sneak a quick bit of reading in, do it. You’ll be glad you did.

2.     Ask for help

If you don’t understand something, ask. There are a lot of resources on campus to help answer your questions. You can ask your friends, your teachers, teacher assistants, even random strangers. Who knows, maybe one of them has taken your course or know the answer. You never know unless you don’t ask and you probably need to know it for a test or a project.

3.     Put it on paper

It’s easy to forget things when it’s not written down somewhere. After all, out of sight, out of mind right? So to prevent those OMG moments, use a planner and write down everything. I mean everything. Those little lunch dates? They will escape you if you’re stressing over the paper due in an hour.  And by scheduling everything out, it’ll help you see what commitments you already have and when you can fit in those small meet ups with friends. Utilize the agenda the campus gave you, or buy one that fits your personality and needs.

4.     Friendly Competition/Accountability

Along the same lines of #2, tell people. Tell your friends and maybe even get them to make a resolution of their own. If you tell people about your goal, you will likely be more motivated to keep it. After all, if no one knows about it, no one will know if you didn’t keep it right? So tell your friends, tell your family, even tell that stranger on the street. You wouldn’t want to disappoint them now would you?

5.     Relax

Last but not least, stop stressing! Just take some deep breaths in and out and relax. If you stress yourself too much, it’ll become counterproductive and you won’t get anything done. Even if you think you can’t afford to, take a moment each day to relax and have some me time. It’ll help you focus and you’ll be able to be a lot more productive.

Here are some students’ specific resolutions and how they plan on keeping it.

Marilyn Estoque, Junior Animal Science Major:

“To keep up with all the readings for my classes. To be “safe” in terms of passing my classes, and not being in a situation where one assignment or exam could determine whether I pass or fail!

My course of action to make this happen is pretty simple: Read and study material not only right before exams, but try to look back at my notes frequently enough so that I don’t forget everything I’ve learned!”

Daniel Chang, Sophomore Kinesiology Major:

“My new school year resolutions are staying more on top of things, not with just school work in general but the extracurricular activities I am part of as well.

I’m going to try and follow through by getting things done earlier so I don’t have to worry about then in the future.”

I hope I gave you some ideas on how to keep those new school year resolutions. Good luck! Work Hard and Play Hard!!

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.