This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The worst feeling in the world is when you’re scrolling through your Apple Music or Spotify playlists and can’t find a single song you want to listen to. You’re tired of listening to the same songs with the same sound. Instead of trying to find some more pop, hip-hop or country, it may be time to give indie a try. Indie music is great because it allows you to find new artists you never knew existed. It has a relaxed vibe, and generally sounds happy. So, here are six indie songs to introduce you to the genre.

Photo by John Hult on Unsplash

1. “Habit” by Still Woozy

This song begins with an isolated electric guitar. You can tell from the start that the song is going to be catchy. The singer’s voice is raspy. It’s a song you want to bop your head along to, and it’s perfect music for when you are just trying to relax. 

2. “Are you bored yet?” by Wallows, featuring Clairo

Remember Clay Jensen from “13 Reasons Why?” Well, he’s played by Dylan Minnette, who is a member of Wallows. This song starts with some keys, and then a strong drum beat. The singer’s voice is low and calming, and when Clairo enters, her voice is the perfect contrast to the lead singer’s. The song is about a new relationship and is perfect to listen to on a night drive. 

Photo by Martin Hexeberg on Unsplash

3. “We’re Going To Be Friends” by The White Stripes

If you’re looking for a song for you and your bestie, this one is perfect. It’s acoustic, simple and sweet. The song is about two friends who have that forever kind of friendship, and it will surely have you reminiscing about the good old days. 

4. “Edition” by Rex Orange County

If you haven’t listened to this band yet, you need to. The lead singer’svocals are so smooth, and their songs feature crisp harmonies. A lot of their songs are guitar heavy and acoustic. This song, in particular, has a solid beat and a guitar. It’s one of those songs you can just vibe to. The band also just released a new album called “Pony,” so if you like this song, check it out.

Photo by Matthijs Smit on Unsplash

5. “Unbearably White” by Vampire Weekend

While many people know Vampire Weekend for their song called “A-Punk,” “Unbearably White” in particular is one of my favorites. The guitar riffs are very smooth. It’s generally enjoyable to listen to and pretty catchy. Its sound reminds me of a beach day, and I think we could all use that with the cold weather quickly approaching. 

6. “Death of Me” by Brandon Jenner

Yes, this Jenner is in fact the son of Caitlyn Jenner and brother of Kendall and Kylie. If you watch “Keeping Up with the Kardashians,” you may already know that Jenner is a music artist. This song is acoustic and even has a sense of ASMR to it. The uses of sound in the song make it different than any of the ones you’ve heard before. 

Hopefully, these songs freshen up you playlists, and get you interested into a new genre.

Megan Sayles

Maryland '21

Megan is a sophomore at UMD. She is a multi-platform journalism major, and is hoping to pursue social media managing in that field. Meg loves playing piano and boating. Her favorite quote is, "You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy," by C. JoyBell C.