5 Ways My Job as a Server has Changed my Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Working in the food industry can be tough, but this job can teach you so much about yourself and about other people that you couldn’t possibly learn anywhere else! Ever since I was hired as server six months ago, my life has seriously changed for the better in these ways.

1. I’ve become an insane multi-tasker.

Before I became a server, I could barely text and walk at the same time. Now, I can take orders while also having a full-on conversation with a customer, cleaning off a table, and dropping off a check. Even when I’m at home and in the kitchen, I’ll be making dinner, while putting away dishes, and reading my textbook all at the same time.

2. I know exactly how to order drinks at the bar.   

During my first two weeks serving, I had no idea what some of my customers were ordering from me. I was so used to the typical college drinks that I thought they were speaking a completely different language! But now, I’ve heard and taken so many different drink orders that I know exactly how to order a cocktail, what exactly is in those fancy drinks, and which ones will be the best to order for when I go out!

3. I can handle a serious level of rudeness.

As a server, you definitely get your fair share of bad tables. I’m also convinced that some customers don’t even think that I’m human, and other customers only care about themselves and their money. But part of the job is remaining calm and polite no matter how messy the situation gets. So when I get off of work and my friends do something rude or obnoxious, it honestly doesn’t even phase me like it should because of the people I’ve had to deal with at work. Having a tough shell like this has definitely proven to be beneficial!

4. I don’t treat other customer-service workers the same anymore.

Whether it’s my hair stylist, mechanic, Uber driver, server, or nail technician, I know that customer service employees work hard and deserve respect from their customers! There is a lot of hard work that goes down behind the scenes of customer service that many people fail to see because they have never had a job in the industry before. Before I started working as a server, I never understood the importance of tipping properly. Now, I tip my hair stylist, restaurant servers, and nail technicians more than 20% because I know exactly what they go through, and what comes around goes around.  

5. Most importantly, I can hold 4 plates or 3 cups at the same time.

This honestly might be one of the most important life skills that I will ever master. Need to carry all your snacks from the kitchen back to your room? Not a problem because waiting tables has taught me how to carry EVERYTHING I need all at once.    

Serving is the perfect job for college students because of the experiences and life lessons that it provides. And it’s quick easy cash, too!