5 Psychological Disorders You May Not Know You Have

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Everyone has those weird mannerisms and habits that only they understand. We tend to think nothing of them, and sometimes in our busy lives we might even overlook the possibility that these behaviors or reactions to certain triggers could be something more. What most people don’t know is that some of the most common pet peeves and behaviors we do compulsively actually are legitimately classified psychological disorders. Here listed are a few that you might find you can relate to.

Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder

Not just a picky eater! Added to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders just over two years ago, a person with this disorder refuses to consume at times a whole food group. People with this disorder are often confused with super picky eaters, but to them it’s much more than that. They become anxiety ridden at just the thought of the texture of certain foods and will swear off some foods completely. Someone with this eating disorder on average consumes less than twenty different foods in total. If you know you can’t stand the thought of trying something unfamiliar and find yourself eating the same five foods, you might want to look into this one!

Caffeine-induced anxiety disorder

Ever find yourself super anxious after drinking those Venti coffees during your school or workday? We love the energy caffeine gives us, but nobody likes the jitters. Studies show that people who are already somewhat prone to anxiety can actually trigger that when they consume caffeine. Caffeine has been known to cause symptoms of anxiety when it is consumed in large amounts, and some caffeine addicts might begin to have panic attacks as a result of the high they get after constant consumption. If you see signs of this in yourself, it’s probably best to go talk to a doctor before symptoms worsen.

Misophonia

Yikes, stop chewing! Misophonia is a psychological disorder in which people have a fight or flight reaction to certain sounds that can cause their blood to boil for reasons completely out of their control. People who have this get extremely heated when they hear their trigger sounds, one of the most common being the sound of others, or even themselves, chewing. People with misophonia can’t help it when they freak out about the noise, so be easy on them when they ask you to eat in another room!

Aboulomania

People with this psychological disorder are indecisive to the extreme, and we’re not talking about not being able to decide what you’re going to wear out on Friday night. Aboulomania causes the person suffering to become way too anxious when faced with even the smallest of decisions. They obsess over every decision they make and often times second-guess the path they choose by constantly overthinking.

Celebriphilia

Got a celeb crush? If you’re totally head over heels for someone you’ve only seen on magazine covers or on television, you might have celebriphilia. People with this tend to very realistically dream about having romantic relationships with celebrities. While it might not be as serious as the others on the list, we all have known at least one friend who thinks they’re legitimately going to marry Ryan Gosling.