15 TV Shows With Black Leads that You Must Binge Watch During Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Before America could ever visit the likes of “Shondaland,” get down with the sons of Empire or define what it meant to be Blackish, dozens of 20th century television broadcasts had to overlook the norms and push the nation’s racial boundaries, paving the way for diversity in today’s small screens.

So in addition to revisiting the legacy of Frederick Douglass and the case of Loving v. Virginia, take in some black entertainment history this February as well, starting with 15 of the most influential (and underrated) television series starring black actors.

1. A Different World (1987): Chronicling the collegiate lives of black students attending a multicultural, but historically black college, A Different World originated as a spinoff of The Cosby Show, following Denise Huxtable to Hillman College. However, the show soon evolved into a funny, yet poignant sitcom centered on young minority struggles such as interracial dating and institutionalized racism. Forming an unexplored dialogue before most of America was ready to talk about it, the show also inspired an entire generation of black Americans to pursue a higher education. Available to stream on Hulu
  1. Living Single (1993): Before there was Friends, there was Living Single. Starring four spirited female roommates (with refreshingly accurate body shapes and hairstyles) and their two male buddies, the notable sitcom tackled the complicated love/hate nature of female friendship, budding romances between “platonic” friends, dating in the city, and the ups and downs of solidifying a career throughout your 20s, all in the most hilarious way possible. In addition to featuring a young Queen Latifah, the show was also full of cute 90s cameos from celebs such as Morris Chestnut, Heavy D, and Terrance Howard. Available to stream on Daily Motion. 
  1. Good Times (1974): Comically depicting life as a poor black family trying to stay afloat in the projects of inner-city Chicago, ironically, Good Times never really included any good times. In fact, father James Evans is constantly working multiple low-income jobs just to make rent, guest star Janet Jackson plays a young girl facing domestic abuse, and three seasons in, SPOILER ALERT: mother Florida Evans ends up a widow after her husband dies in a car accident. On the other hand, the popular 70s catchphrase “DY-NO-MITE!” was coined by J.J., a well-liked character who ultimately became one of the decade’s biggest cultural icons. Available to watch on Starz.
  1. In Living Color (1990): Possibly the most controversial television show ever created, In Living Color served as a multicultural sketch comedy show dedicated to satirizing pretty much everyone through sketches about handicapped superheroes, cranky black party clowns and flamboyantly gay movie critics, the hit show not only gave the Wayans brothers their start in entertainment, but also was the first to showcase talents from huge names today such as Jamie Foxx, Jim Carey and yes, Jennifer Lopez. Available to stream on Hulu
  1. Star Trek (1966): Two words: Lieutenant. Uhura. Amongst a predominately white ensemble cast, actress Nichelle Nichols played a strong and powerful chief communications officer under Captain Kirk in the famous sci-fi series. In addition to being one of the very first programs to showcase a black woman in a substantial television role, Star Trek was also the first American program to display an onscreen interracial kiss, between Uhura and Kirk. The controversial smooch happened only a year after interracial marriage was deemed constitutional in the U.S.   Available to stream on CBS All Access and Hulu
  1. The Boondocks (2005): Originally a successful newspaper comic strip, this racially provocative adult cartoon was adapted to television as an unapologetic show unafraid to bluntly tackle racial supremacy, cultural appropriation, and political correctness from the perspective of two black boys being raised by their grandfather in an obscure white neighborhood. Reminiscent of other programs such as Family Guy and South Park, The Boondocks often critiqued and reimagined cultural figures such as Tyler Perry, BET and Martin Luther King Jr. Available to watch on Adult Swim with a cable subscription. 
  1. Girlfriends (2000): Girlfriends was pretty much Sex and the City but with black people. One of the longest running black television shows, the series followed four diverse black women and their drama-filled journeys to love and life fulfillment. Starring a neurotic lawyer, a feisty family woman, a free-spirited freeloader and a materialistic real estate agent, Girlfriends refused to make caricatures out of black women, portraying all female leads as complex individuals people could laugh with, but not at. Available to watch on Amazon
  1. The Wayans Bros. (1995): Starring both Shawn and Marlon Wayans, The Wayans Bros. was one of a colossal wave of black programs starring comedic personalities put on television during the 90s and early 2000s. In addition to this one, shows such as The Bernie Mac Show, The Steve Harvey Show, The Jamie Foxx Show, The Parkers, Kenan and Kel and My Wife and Kids were edgier and incredibly comical. They generally worked to challenge more wholesome depictions of black Americans often broadcast during the 70s and 80s. Available to stream on Daily Motion. 
  1. Julia (1968): Starring famous actress and singer Diahann Carrol, Julia is pioneered as one of the absolute first television shows to star a black woman, particularly in a significant and non-stereotypical role. Carrol, who played a single mother working as a nurse for a successful aerospace company, was the first African American woman to earn an Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series
  1. Saved by the Bell (1989): Although the cast of Saved by the Bell was predominately white, Lark Voorhies shined as the wealthy and fashionable Lisa Turtle among a group of sweet-faced Californians. Spoiled, yet lighthearted, her character was an uplifting break away from “Hood films,” such as Boyz in the Hood, a popular film genre at the time. Fun fact: the part of Lisa was originally written for a fair-skinned Jewish girl, but casting was so impressed with Lark’s audition, they cast her instead.  Available to stream on Hulu
  1. Soul Food (2000): Based on the hit movie by the same name, Soul Food worked as a risqué drama concerning dysfunctional family ties, substance abuse and lots of sex. Broadcast on Showtime at the turn of the century, the series did not exactly start a cultural revolution or anything. But it did finally cater to millions of black viewers tired of the massive black sitcom scene and eager to see themselves in more dramatic productions.  Available to watch on YouTube
  1. Everybody Hates Chris (2005): Told from the point of view a younger Chris Rock growing up in 1980s New York, Everybody Hates Chris sarcastically expressed the awkwardness of adolescence in general. However, the show also targeted race relations, social class differences and the nature of black community through funny and seemingly oblivious characters. Available to stream on Hulu
  1. The Proud Family (2001): A Disney Channel production, the Proud Family was a sweetly urban animated show centered on Penny Proud, her vivacious family and her even more charismatic friends. While still offering social commentary on subjects such as homelessness, teen sexuality, religion and marriage, the show was a fun coming-of-age television series always ready to embrace all colors and cultural backgrounds. Available to stream on Daily Motion
  1. The Wire (2002): One of the most successful television series featuring a predominately black cast, The Wire served as a disturbingly gritty crime drama, as it portrayed urban living in Baltimore. Showcasing drug trade, law enforcement and the government’s flawed educational system, The Wire is well-known for uniting both the black and white demographic during its six-season run. Available with an HBO subscription. 
  1. Martin (1992):  Although The Fresh Prince of Bel Air was probably the more popular broadcast at the time, Martin also stands the test of time as a rowdy and rugged comedy told from the perspective of a boisterous Detroit radio DJ surrounded by his loving girlfriend and their closest friends. Today, the show is a staple among black audiences and is well-known for two things: One, comedian Martin Lawrence’s physical comedy and use of playing multiple silly characters using wigs and prosthetics. Two: Honest, yet positive models of what it takes to really make a good romantic relationship work. Available to stream on the Daily Motion.