Be Smart. Drink Safe. Know Facts. 10 Tips to Drinking Safety!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

College is time for self-exploration and finding your place in the world.  Let’s be honest: to do this, most college students begin drinking. While this all may seem to be fun and games, it is a serious matter. It is important to know how to stay safe and how to say NO when you need to!

Hannah Graham

This is Hannah Graham. She is an 18 year old, second-year college student at the University of Virginia. On Friday, September 12, 2014, she went out socializing and drinking with friends. Graham left one party to go to another… by herself. The last time anyone heard from her was at 1:20 a.m. on Saturday, September 13, 2014. She was last seen at Tempo restaurant with “LJ” Matthew.  Witnesses say the two left together, and Graham was obviously intoxicated. A missing persons report was filled on Sunday, September 14, 2014. On October 18, 2014, over a month after her disappearance, there were remains found that are believed to belong to Hannah Graham. Matthew is in custody as the only suspect for her disappearance.

We do not want this to be the fate of anymore students. Here are some tips to keep you, as well as your friends, safe, no matter if you are at the bar, the club, a small house party, or a frat house:

1. Never go out alone!

When you are going out and you plan to drink, going alone is the #1 mistake you can make! This may sound cliché, but use the buddy system. If at all possible, have more than 2 people at a time. Predators target females who are alone, and being intoxicated can only make it worse.  If you MUST go alone, stay on the phone with one of your friends, or call a family member! Even if you think they will be mad at you, they will be happy to know you are being smart! Always be aware of your surroundings.

2. Know the standard drink size.

Standard drink size is actually much less than what you would think it to be!

Refer to the chart:

3. Always eat before and/or while you are drinking.

Drinking on an empty stomach can cause your BAC (blood alcohol content) to shoot up faster than you are used to. This can be dangerous because you could end up blacking out before anyone realizes you’ve had too much to drink.

4. Never let your drink leave your sight!

Watch your drink be made, take it with you wherever you go, have a girlfriend hold it, and if you sit it down, TOSS IT! If your drink is out of your sight for even a second there is no telling who could have put something in it. Wasting a $7 pitcher is better than waking up not knowing who or what you have been around! Better safe than sorry.

5. Drink Water!

In between each drink, have a glass of water! This will help you to control your BAC as well as keep you hydrated and help you avoid that dreaded hangover!

6. DO NOT try to keep up with the guys.

Men and women’s bodies are just different! You do not have to prove yourself. Is it really worth going to the hospital?

7. Have a designated driver.

If you are not walking to wherever you are going, have a designated driver. We have all heard this since we were young. It is illegal to drive if your BAC is over .08%. DO NOT risk your own life, or another person. Even just one drink can alter your motor skills. We don’t want any alcohol related accidents. 

8. Call for HELP!

If you or a friend is in need of medical attention, do not hesitate to call 911. Even if you are under age. What’s worse: getting a fine or losing your life/a friends life?

9. Know the signs!

If you or a friend is feeling nauseous, or dizzy, it is time to STOP! Breathing slows with the use of alcohol. If a friend is not responding to you, lay them on their side and call for help. Do not leave them. Laying them on their side opens airways and allows them to vomit without the risk of choking. Wait for medics to get there and then let them take over!

10. Know what your BAC could be. 

These charts will tell you what your BAC is by using: weight, number of drinks, and number of hours. **These are based off of standard drink size!

If you plan to have a fun weekend, make sure it ends fun! Show this to your friends, your siblings, anyone. Be Smart. Drink Safe. Know Your Facts! 

Brianna Roberts, member of Delta Zeta at Marshall, wants to remind you that you DO have a choice when it comes to alcohol. If you are uncomfortable drinking, speak up, and don’t be afraid to say no. 

Kendyl is a public relations major at Marshall University. She enjoys eating food and bringing joy to people as a part time waitress! (: