This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

So about two weeks ago I had a brilliant (at least in my opinion) idea! And it turned out so well, that I plan on doing it at least once a month. Here’s a little story, and hopefully some weekend inspiration:

I am a huge fan of The Lumineers, like actually obsessed. I was casually scrolling through Instagram and I saw a post from Stelth Ulvang (of the Lumineers!!) announcing that he and his wife were going to be opening for Laura Gibson at The Back Room @ Colectivo. I have always wanted to go to Colectivo so I saw this as the perfect opportunity. I was dying to go, but you know I’m a broke college student so I wasn’t sure if I should. I am so bad at saving money and I have a “treat yo’ self 24/7” mentality, so I knew I was going to buy tickets with my roommate whether it was the right thing to do or not. 

When I saw the price of tickets my jaw dropped. They were only $10! For barely any money, I could go see a member of my all-time favorite band. It literally doesn’t get any better than this… 

Believe it or not, these plans for the weekend did get better! My roommate and I decided to leave a little bit early and take a look at Black Cat Alley which is murals painted by local artists in an alley just around the corner from Colectivo. 

We were still about an hour too early so we decided to just “look” around at Urban Outfitters. I am a really impulsive buyer, so I ended up buying a set of scrunchies. Then we decided to just walk around and see what else was in the area. Just around the corner from Colectivo is a cafe called Sip and Purr, where if you’re a student you pay $5 to pet cats for an hour! We didn’t have enough time to go in, but that literally sounds so amazing to me!

Then it was finally time to go to the concert at Colectivo. When we walked in, there were roughly about 70 chairs and several rows of tables. It was unlike anything I have ever been to before because it was so small and so intimate. Of course, we sat in the front row! Stealth Ulvang performed for about an hour and then there was a half an hour intermission. My roommate went to go get more coffee and she immediately texted me that he was in the back selling his merchandise. 

The coolest thing about this whole experience was that after the musicians were done performing they were literally in the back just talking with people. I talked with him for about fifteen minutes (so yeah, best day ever)!

This weekend was probably one of the coolest off-campus experiences I’ve ever had and it was incredibly inexpensive. I recommend everyone to try it at some point!

Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.