Talking To Your Ex Can’t Always Be A Bad Thing, Right?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Everybody has one. Sometimes they’re high school boyfriends, sometimes they’re horrible one night stands that you never wish to revisit ever again. Whatever the status of the boy, he can always teach you something about yourself.

Chances are, you aren’t the same person you where when you and your ex were together. The lessons you’ve learned between then and now are infinite. Your life experiences cannot be put into words, and sometimes it’s difficult to look back and be okay with the person you once were. You’re probably at a point in your life where you’re questioning your future. You’ll feel like you’ve made all of the wrong decisions, and you’ll just want to talk to someone who understands you.

Then you’ll get that text. The “Hey” at midnight on a Thursday from the number that you should have deleted a long time ago. Usually you ignore it. But this time something is telling you to respond.

He’s probably not expecting to see the thought bubbles pop up on your end, but when they do it won’t necessarily be a bad thing.

Sometimes it’s nice to revisit the past, in a completely harmless sense. It brings feelings similar to nostalgia. Talking to someone who was truly your best friend, someone who you shared many milestones with, someone who knew you better than anyone else, can be a refreshing thing.

In this case, he will remind you what you used to be passionate about. He will remind you of the stupid things you used to laugh at. He’ll ask if you still write in that ratty old journal every day. When you answer that you don’t, he’ll make you want to go back to the home base: the simple things that gave your life meaning.

In the end, the conversation will be short lived because one of you will inevitably say something that makes it clear why it never worked between the two of you. Regardless of the ending, the beginning and the middle were pretty great and you’re a better person because of it.

Maybe you have something to thank him for after all.

But, then again, maybe you don’t.

Marquette Senior. Future Lawyer. Environmental and Animal Rights Activist. Ace Ventura expert. 
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.