A New Chapter on Campus: Camp Kesem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Cancer is a horrible disease. It affects every person differently. It’s a catastrophic disease that wreaks havoc on everyone in its path. Camp Kesem is a wonderful organization designed to help children with sick parents. It is a summer camp where the kids spend a week and just have fun. It’s a week where they forget all the bad in their lives and remember that it’s okay to still be a kid. When your life is turned upside-down by something so horrible, it is important to remember that there are still things to be thankful for. “Kesem” means “magic” in Hebrew, a name fitting for such an awesome organization.

Marquette just started a chapter this year thanks to Bridget Moffett and Jessica Ayala. Both are extremely passionate about the organization and they are amazing directors. Their endless work and dedication are making this chapter at Marquette utterly amazing. Having the opportunity to work with such a selfless group of individuals only makes the experience that much more rewarding.

Camp Kesem Marquette just had its first big fundraising event on Giving Tuesday. There was an immense push to raise awareness and money for the kids.  It’s only fitting that an organization that provides so much hope and love to so many children receives the recognition and support that they deserve. For more information on Camp Kesem, visit www.campkesem.org, or visit the local Marquette chapter.

Marquette Senior. Future Lawyer. Environmental and Animal Rights Activist. Ace Ventura expert. 
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.