How To Keep Your Relationship Strong In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

As many of you may know, college isn’t always the easiest when it comes to keeping a relationship. It happens much too often that one person in the relationship gets just a little too drunk and ends up doing something they regret. It’s the sad, unfortunate truth, but hopefully these tips help you overcome those struggles and keep your relationship stronger than ever!

1. Never Chose a Party Over Your Significant Other

In a good relationship it is always important to have good communication and listen to the others needs. You may not always have to agree with them, but you should at least be considerate of them. If your significant other wants you to stay home and watch a movie with them, but you got invited to a party, skip the party. There will be so many opportunities to go to parties in college so skip the party and spend some quality time with them. It is sweet that they want to spend this time with you and you both most likely can’t always hangout because of all the studying. My advice is skip the party and spend the quality time with them. It can only help your relationship.

2. Don’t Lose Yourself in the Relationship

As important as it is to make your significant other a priority, you also need to make yourself a priority in college. Grades should always come first because you’re paying an arm and a leg to attend classes. Make sure you get your work done before anything else. Your partner will more than likely understand and if you two really don’t spend a lot of time together then suggest a study date! You could kill two birds with one stone by improving your grades while also improving your relationship.

3. Have Good Time Management

Time management is one of the keys to, not only relationships, but to college in general. I recommend writing out a set schedule for the week because you will be more likely to stick to it. Make sure to set out a lot of time for school stuff, but also have some time to pencil in bonding with your significant other. No one wants to feel unwanted or think the other person doesn’t have time for them. Make sure to master time management and always attempt to make time for them, even if it is only once a week.

Ultimately, a relationship is a huge commitment. If you feel that you aren’t ready or you want to have a good time in college without getting settled down, then have fun being single! There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and ALWAYS stay true to yourself.

Hi! My name is Jocelyn and I am from Milwaukee, WI. I truly love reading/writing blog posts. I also love reading a good novel and I am a die-hard romantic comedy watcher!
Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy