The Allegations Against Roy Moore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

In today’s news, sexual assault allegation after allegation of men in positions of power have come to light, and the entertainment industry has done an incredible job of supporting the victims and not taking any allegation lightly. News outlets have come out with absolutely abhorrent articles exposing a multitude of men with victim accounts in order to show the world the truth. From Harvey Weinstein being fired from his own company, Netflix refusing to continue a partnership with Kevin Spacey, and Louis C.K.’s movie producers shutting down the premiere of his film, the entertainment industry has put these men in their place, and shed light upon the necessity for victims to come forward when a traumatic and emotionally damaging thing such as sexual assault or misconduct as happened to them. So many victims now have the voice and the support to come out and stand tall against these men, but we are far from perfect on this issue.

Former Alabama Judge and current campaigning Senator Roy Moore in recent news has been accused of sexual misconduct by eight women, many of them underaged during the time of the assault. Many of them occurred in the court Moore worked at, and many of them in his town’s mall. Moore has vehemently rejected these claims, saying that “they never happened” when women come out with more accusations. Yet, new evidence has emerged, showing that he was banned from the mall he lived near due to instances of young women coming forth and feeling uncomfortable by him there, with his sexually charged advances and words about them. These women have stories and accounts of the sexual assaults that occurred to them, and yet, Moore refuses to stand down.

And he is being backed by members of the GOP.

Many have called for Moore to end his campaign for the special vacant seat due to Senator Session’s leaving. Underaged sexual assault allegations amid a campaign bring a bad name to elected officials of power, as seen a slew of men in positions of power in the news currently. Yet, Moore and the GOP refuse to stand down. Many GOP members have told Moore to continue on with his campaign, calling the allegations unnoteworthy or of no true value.

As Moore continues his campaign and denies these allegations, the work done by the entertainment industry slowly begins to crumble. The entertainment industry did work to allow victims to come forth with confidence, and tell their story so other victims also felt empowered to do the same. These men in positions of power have continued to step down, whether by choice or force. And yet, the GOP falters in an ability to stop backing a man accused of underage sexual assault. With this, there is a call to action. Support must be shown for those strong enough to face their traumatic memories in order to bring these men down.

Aisling Hegarty

Marquette '18

Don't waste a minute not being happy