Style > Beauty

Acne and Self-Esteem: How to Stay Confident

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

Acne, blemishes, spots, dots, or whatever you want to call them—these skin issues are unfortunately relatable. If you are struggling with breakouts, you understand how hard it is to feel powerful and proud of your body. I am no skin expert, but I definitely have a few words of wisdom as an experienced acne sufferer. 

First, if you are reading this, know you are not alone. This may seem obvious, but it is still good to hear. I have struggled and am still struggling to feel beautiful and love myself every day. It is hard, I know, but together we can do it. 

Second, try to understand that people don’t care as much as you think they do. I know it seems like the world and everyone you see on the street is examining your face, but that is not the case. Most of the time, the main topic consuming people’s minds is themselves. Can you actually think of a time when you deeply reflected on someone else’s skin condition? If the answer is not no, it should be. 

Third, accept your skin no matter what. I know it is difficult not to feel betrayed by your body when your face feels like it is fighting you every step of the way, but try to do it. Your skin is a part of you. Love all of yourself completely, regardless of any flaws. 

When my acne resurfaced in college, I wanted to be invisible. I wanted to lock the door to my room and hide in the dark. 

The first thing I would do every morning was check the mirror. I looked and looked even though all it brought me was self-hatred. I was digging myself in a hole with self-loathing, and I never thought I would feel confident again. 

There were no acne miracles for me, no treatments or medications to help fix my face. Weeks faded to months, and I stopped smiling. I stopped going out because I didn’t want my friends or anyone else to see my face. I felt ashamed. How could someone love me when I couldn’t stand my own reflection?

Slowly, things began to change. I realized hating myself was exhausting. I give up; this is what I look like, and I can’t change anything about it. Giving up seems like the wrong thing to do in most situations, but it worked because I gave up my negativity. I decided to own it—myself and my breakouts. If people were going to treat me differently, that was on them. 

Now, when I look in the mirror, I try to see the truth—the truth behind beauty. For me, that truth was realizing I needed to love my whole self. It is nice to feel pretty on the outside, but I learned that I had to feel pretty on the inside first. I started to eat healthier, to practice mindfulness and meditation, to complete activities that made me happy, and to love myself along the way. 

Even though I still struggle with self-esteem and breakouts, I found that nurturing beauty within is essential to feeling confident again. That is my truth. What is yours? 

Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.