This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Think about the last time you ever read a book start to finish…just for fun. I can honestly say I haven’t read for fun in a very long time. All through highschool I read assigned books during the year and 2-3 summer reading books from an assigned list. I ultimately knew that these books would lead to some essay or test so I was so caught up in annotating and picking out the themes and motifs that ultimately reading became more of a chore than anything else.

With this being said, I realized that now is a better time than ever to just start reading for fun. Just reading to enjoy a book, without all the high school over analyzing that came along with it. So over spring break between scrolling through my tropical instagram feed and wishing I wasn’t stuck in snowy New York I decided to dig out my kindle. The last book I had been reading was The Five People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. I decided to start that one over and from there made a list of seven more books.

Now I know not everyone is a “reader” but you would be surprised that when you find a good book how easy it becomes. So next time you’re about to binge netflix try picking out a good book and read for you, not to annotate for a teacher. It may not seem like it but reading is the perfect little escape when you’re a little stressed.

Amanda is a Marist College sophomore majoring in public relations and minoring in business. Other then HerCampus she is involved with PRSSA, dance ensemble, and relay for life at Marist. She also is obsessed with anything peanut butter and of course loves her coffee!