What Every Transfer Student Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

As a transfer student, it is understandable to feel totally out of the loop in your new school. It feels like everyone already has friends and you are the odd one out. As someone who transferred, I completely relate. I thought my new school was not for me…and that’s okay! Here are some helpful tips and tricks to adjusting to your new school.

1. Your New Roommates — if you’ve never dormed at college before (like me) and this is your first experience, then you definitely need to keep an open mind. Sharing a room is hard – even harder if you have more than one roommate. It is important to know that while you have to be mindful and respectful of your roommate(s), it does not necessarily mean that you have to be best friends with them either. Keep an open mind and try to bond as well as you can, but if it doesn’t work out that is perfectly fine and normal! 

2. Finding Your Clique — This one was a particular struggle in my personal experience. Coming to my new school I thought there was no room for me anywhere. This is not the case at all. It took joining as many clubs as my schedule allowed and going to as many school events as possible to finally find my new friend group. Sometimes this one takes time; for reference, my friend group did not make a significant expansion until spring break! But the friends I’ve made are one in a million and I wouldn’t trade them for the world. Good things take time and a little bit of extra effort. If you are having trouble making friends or joining clubs, make your own club! Create a Transfer Student Club if it comes down to it. There are always people looking for friends…put yourself out there! 

3. The Workload — Transferring from a two-year school to a four-year university is challenging in many aspects, and the workload may be a significant one. It may feel unbearable, but you have to remind yourself that you were accepted into this university for a reason and you’ve succeeded thus far. My advice is to make at least one friend in each class, exchange numbers and make these people your study buddies or someone to bounce ideas off of. This might even help with expanding your friend group! Stay organized and on top of your assignments and you will do just fine. 

4. Just Let Go!! — An important aspect of moving to a new school is letting go. You may have a million different nerves, doubts or anxieties, but the moment you let all of that go and start having fun you will forget what you were so worried for in the first place! Everyone is in the same boat and have just as many things running through their minds as you. It is important to know that there is always someone willing to listen and relate to what you’re going through: friends, suitemates, counselors and professors. 

As a transfer student, please stay optimistic and excited about your future at your new school. There may be some bumps in the road but the journey and friends along for the ride are worth it all.

Marist '20