Time Management: How to Perfect Your Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Hey there, collegiettes! Well, we’ve been back on campus for about a month now. Classes are now actually starting to give you work (R.I.P. syllabus week), your extracurricular activities are having regular meetings and rehearsals, and your friends want to hang out most every night. This is around the time in the semester where I start to lose track of my schedule. How am I supposed to get all this work done and still have some form of a life? Well, here’s a few helpful hints on how to make the most of your semester.

1.     Mark your calendars- I cannot stress this enough. If you have major events coming up, make sure to either write them down or put them in your phone. That way, you know how much time you have beforehand to plan or to do that essay that’s due in your Monday 8 am class.

2.     Set aside specific time for homework- No one likes doing it, but we have to. So, you have a 9:30 class but don’t have class again until 2 that day? Take an hour in that time between classes and get some work done. It doesn’t have to be for the whole break, but it should be long enough that you can actually accomplish at least one piece of work. Plus, you can still squeeze a nap in!

3.     Make friend time- Whether it be with your housemates, your significant other, or the people from your favorite club on campus, you need to be sure to see the people you love. If you manage your time and get your assignments done closer to when they’re assigned than their due date, your calendar will automatically start to free itself up.

Keep these simple tips in mind, collegiettes, and you’ll stay productive and have some fun, too! 

Skyler Van Valkenburgh is a sophomore at Marist College with a major in Communications, a concentration in Journalism, and a minor in Theatre. She loves to sing, dance, and act more than pretty much anything in the world (seriously, ask her friends). Some of her other interests include reading, spending time with her fellow Red Foxes, and copy editing for the Marist student newspaper, The Circle. She has hopes of one day writing for a major newspaper or magazine. Only time will tell how far this collegiette will go! You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @skylerleighvv