Thanksgiving: The Underrated Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Hello again, collegiettes! Soon Thanksgiving will be upon us, and we’ll get to chow down with our families. However, I feel as though Thanksgiving is an overlooked holiday that doesn’t get the respect it deserves. So, here are some reasons why Thanksgiving rocks.

1.     The Macy’s Thankgiving Day Parade- I don’t know about you, but my family and I watch the parade every year on TV. Whether you go into the city and see it in person or stay at home and watch it in your living room, it’s so much fun to watch the balloons and performances. It’s a great way to start Thanksgiving Day and kick off the start of the holiday season.

2.     Food, Glorious Food- No one can deny that food is a pretty essential part of Thanksgiving. Whether you’re a turkey lover or not, there’s always something delicious at the table. Every family does Thanksgiving a little differently, so you can always expect your parents, grandparents, and extended family to whip out the household classics. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, casseroles, and cranberry gel are always staples at my grandparents’ house.

3.     Family- Thanksgiving is one of the few times of year that you can guarantee most of your family will show up. It’s always good to reconnect with them, even if it’s only for one afternoon while you stuff your faces full of food.

When it comes right down to it, Thanksgiving is about being thankful for the people in your life and taking some time to recognize how important they are to you. Have a good break, my fellow collegiettes and remember to save room for dessert!

Photo Credit: explorethedc.org

Skyler Van Valkenburgh is a sophomore at Marist College with a major in Communications, a concentration in Journalism, and a minor in Theatre. She loves to sing, dance, and act more than pretty much anything in the world (seriously, ask her friends). Some of her other interests include reading, spending time with her fellow Red Foxes, and copy editing for the Marist student newspaper, The Circle. She has hopes of one day writing for a major newspaper or magazine. Only time will tell how far this collegiette will go! You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @skylerleighvv