New Balance: The Coolest Sneakers You’ll NEVER Run in

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

The year was 2005 and even eight year old me knew I was destined to be a fashion mogul. For a second grader I was super chic, and by chic I mean Limited Too’s most loyal customer. I kept up with all of the latest trends including denim maxi skirts (inspired by Britney before she shaved her head), halter-tops, bandanas, and butterfly clips for my iron-crimped hair. Nineteen year old me is currently cringing at the visual.

To my dismay, Heelys got banned from my buzz kill elementary school and my Sketchers needed to be retired. Mind you this was back when Sketchers were cool. Now they’re for moms who think wearing cushioned sneakers is equivalent to going to spin class. Bottom line, I needed new sneakers. But when it was time for my fashionably inept father to take me shopping, TRAGEDY STRUCK. He suggested we go to the New Balance store.

To make this surprisingly long story short, I threw a total fit the moment I stepped into the store. I told the saleswoman to her face that every shoe in that store was atrocious and chucked up the deuces. I didn’t stop crying until I had new Sketchers on my feet and a CapriSun in my hand.

Now its 2016 and oh how the tables have turned, New Balances are now a fashion staple. If you don’t already have a pair then pause Netflix, get off the couch, and go buy them. I hopped on the sneaker bandwagon the very second it came around. If I can walk across campus in sneakers instead of heeled booties and still look fashion forward, I’m going for it. I’m now more likely to pair a chunky sweater and ripped skinnies with New Balance sneakers than with Tory flats. Eight year old me would probably punch me in the face. You live and you learn.

New Balances are all over Pinterest, and unlike the $300 bikini tops and $2,000 YSL shoulder bags I have pinned, they’re a realistic purchase that I can actually afford after spending all of my money on eggs benedict and workout clothes for my monthly “jog.” Fashion Bloggers including my personal favorite, Sincerely Jules, complete their fabulous ensembles with suede New Balance sneakers all the time. Even J.Crew has collaborated with NB to create a line for you extra preppy fashionistas. If the New Balance style just isn’t for you, try a pair of Nike Flyknits or Roshe Runs. Bottom line, wearing sneakers with everyday outfits is the move this season. Get yourself to a New Balance store, (or a Nordstrom if you’re not ready to show face) and if you happen to see the saleswoman I yelled at eleven years ago, give her my deepest apologies. If only I knew then what I know now.

Kate Paulson is a sophomore at Marist College majoring in Marketing and minoring in Fashion Merchandising. She is from northern New Jersey, and enjoys reading, writing, traveling, puppies, and eating eggs benedict.