The Magical Lamp of Aladdin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

If you happened to notice an unusually large amount of children scurrying through the student center last week, you may have been a little thrown off and might have even wondered briefly if Marist was starting its recruiting process extra early. No need to worry, though – the masses of children you witnessed were merely the eager young audiences coming to see the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts’ Children’s Theatre extraordinaire: The Magical Lamp of Aladdin.

The show, written by Tim Kelly, ran from April 4th through April 10th and was an enormous success. Directed by Marist senior Ryan Nuzzo and Assistant Directed by Marist sophomore Erin Kane, the goal from the start of the production process was to make the experience as fun as possible for the hundreds of youngsters attending the show. Judging by the giggling, cheering, and even enthusiastic dancing of the kids watching the performance, this mission was accomplished. Mike Parisi, who played the part of Alakazam (Aladdin’s loyal monkey sidekick), reflected, “It was a fantastic experience. I would do a little trick or a face and they would laugh and keep the energy high.”

The excitement wasn’t only limited to the show itself, though. Production Manager Emily Crescitelli (Marist junior) and Assistant Production Manager Irene Elias (Marist freshman) coordinated a fun-filled luncheon for Marist faculty and their children prior to the April 5th afternoon show. The event was bursting with yummy finger foods, magic carpet crafts, face painting, and the chance for kids to hang out with characters from the show. Brian Graff, dressed in costume as Aladdin at the luncheon, said, “It was a great experience and working with the kids made me feel almost like a Disney Character.”

Not only was the experience a blast for the performers and audiences alike, but it was also a fantastic community service event. Local schools were invited to take part in the wonder of The Magical Lamp of Aladdin free of charge so that young students could have the chance to engage with the theatre culture in a fun, interactive environment.

If you’re looking to get involved with the local community or to share in a rewarding service experience, keep your eye out for the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts Children’s Theatre show next year – try your hand at acting, sew some crazy costumes, or pick up a hammer and help build the set. There are countless ways to become a part of this wonderful event, and you’re guaranteed to be glad you did!

Photos credit: Erin Kane