How To Make A Difference for Only $36 a Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

I truly believe that college students are some of the busiest people in the world. Balancing five or six classes, having a job, maintaining a social life, and staying healthy and happy can become a challenge when there are only 24 hours in a day.

We all want to give back in some way; make a difference in the lives of those who are less fortunate than us. Many people accomplish this through volunteer work, although this can become quite time-consuming for busy students. Others do this through charitable donations. Donating money to charities is a wonderful thing to do, but, to me, it just feels so impersonal. While trying to find a balance between the two, I came across Unbound.

Unbound is a sponsorship program for children, young adults, and the elderly living in developing countries. The super easy to navigate website provides background information on all potential sponsees, which I love because it allows you to select the exact person you’d like to sponsor. The process is as simple as that; the minimum monthly donation is only $36, all of which goes directly to resources for healthcare, nutrition, education, improving living conditions, and much more.

Here’s the best part: as a sponsor, you will receive letters, drawings, and photos from your sponsee. This is what I love about the program, because it allows me to feel a more personal connection with the child I am supporting. And you can write your sponsee letters, too! You can even do it online, which I find to be a great feature (hello — everything is done on the computer nowadays!).

If you find you love the program and would like to donate more of your time towards it, Unbound hosts various mission trips to countries all over the world where you can achieve a more hands-on experience working to build homes, bathrooms, or schools. You may even be able to meet your sponsee — a true once in a lifetime experience.

For just $36 a month, you can make a difference in someone’s life. Visit www.unbound.org for more information on how to become a sponsor.

Julia is a Public Relations and Advertising major studying at Marist College. She has three loves: writing, eating, and traveling. Her lifetime goal is to pursue a career in which she can fulfill all three of these passions.