How to Celebrate Valentine’s Day When You’re Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Ah, February 14th, we meet again. The one day out of the year that is notoriously sucky for single people. Whether you’re a full-blown Valentine’s Day hater or a keep-it-to-yourself kind of protester, I think we can all agree there’s a bit of a stigma surrounding this holiday for singles. But the worst thing about February 14th isn’t just being single, it’s that ever-foreboding question: What are you doing for Valentine’s Day? This year, don’t respond with “nothing”, and instead celebrate Valentine’s Day in a new way, with a little help from the cast of Parks & Rec!

1. Have a Leslie Knope Galentine’s Day

Make this a day to celebrate your female friendships! Because really, isn’t your bestie basically your boyfriend anyway? She knows you better than anyone, she’s the person you talk to the most, and she’s always down for a movie-snuggle sesh. From brunch to happy hour, whether it’s a girl’s night in or a girl’s night out, show your gals how much you love them and make it a day of non-stop fun with your real life Ann Perkins.

2. Treat Yo Self like Tom & Donna

Take time to celebrate yourself and make this day all about you. Splurge on a shopping spree, hit the nail salon for a mani/pedi, and skip the salad and head straight for the double bacon cheeseburger. And don’t even think about feeling guilty for buying yourself a box of chocolates. When in doubt, treat yo self.

3. Boycott with April

Give into the moodiness. It’s okay to channel your inner hatred of all people and things.  Take this day of love and affection and use it to purge yourself of all that negativity in your life. Wear black in rebellion of the Hallmark holiday and hide from the world in your bed (with a supply of snacks, of course).

4. Get off the Grid like Ron

Check out of society for a bit. Put the technology away and lose touch with social media. Try to get back in touch with nature and forget all your worldly worries for the day. There’s nothing like a brisk winter walk to clear one’s head, and not checking your phone every five minutes will prove to be extremely therapeutic. Find your serenity and get back on track.

5. Workout with Chris

If V-day gets you down, try making it a day for fitness! Working out is a great stress reliever and an even better distraction. Not to mention the good vibes you get from a challenging workout will last much longer than say, the good vibes you’d get from scarfing down a whole sleeve of Oreos. Focus on your health and self-improvement and dream of Spring Break along the way.

6. Laugh it off like Andy

Andy is so happy-go-lucky because he doesn’t let anything get to him. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and let your worries fade to the wayside! It’s impossible to be down in the dumps when you don’t have a care in the world. Stay easygoing and stay silly, and remember: it’s just a day. One little day that doesn’t have to mean anything if you don’t want it to. Don’t think, just laugh!

However you choose to spend your February 14th, remember to be grateful for all the love in your life. When you’re surrounded by friends and family, you’re never really alone. And besides ladies, your very own Ben Wyatt is out there somewhere, and he’ll be worth the wait!

Photo Credit

Senior at Marist College. Aspiring Writer. Avid traveler. Amateur tweeter. Lover of food, dogs, and all things comedic. Professional smarty-pants. Part-time goofball. Proud fan of alliteration.