Cast Your Vote: Brandon Heard and Nick Titolo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Meet Brandon Heard and Nick Titolo as they campaign for your vote to serve as Marist’s Student Body President and Executive Vice President next year.

Her Campus: How long have you two known each other?

Nick Titolo: We actually were in the same exact Orientation group, #group12, so we met the summer going into freshman year.

Brandon Heard: We actually filled out our housing surveys together to try and be roommates and ended up being four doors down the hall from one another.

HC: What is the dumbest thing you guys have done together?

BH:  We wrestled in the snow last year when class got cancelled.  That was funny. 

HC: Describe your relationship and how you work together.

BH:  I think we balance each other out.  I think the coolest thing to see is that freshman year, I got involved in a lot of stuff and I think Nick at the time wasn’t really involved and then he got involved in RHC and it was nice to see how as juniors how much more involved we got as the years went on. We also took on more leadership roles and we support each other and vent to each other all the time.  Basically, we keep each other level headed. 

NT: I was going to use the word support.  I could always come back home and feel supported.  We’re in this together and we bounce ideas off of each other.

BH:  It sucked not having him abroad doing the fun stuff we usually do together but it’s good to be back and reunited.

HC: What about your relationship outside of student government?

NT: It’s cool how both realize that there is a time for play and there is a time to focus and get work done.  We’re able to differentiate that time between fun and leisure activities between the things that we’re involved in on campus or even just school work and getting homework and papers done. 

BH: It’s nice that you can come to college and really establish such a strong friendship.  He’s honestly probably going to be the best man at my wedding and like his mom has my number, my mom has his number and we text each other from time to time.  And I have to say, freshman year, I absolutely hated it when he played country music and he hated when I played rap and reggae but by the time sophomore year came around, I would walk into the room and he was listening to rap and reggae and then I would tell him to put country music on. 

HC: Tell us about your ideas if you were to be elected as Student Body President and Executive Vice President.

BH: There’s a few big things we’re going to be launching and a few side things.  The biggest thing we’re going to try to launch is called “My fellow red foxes”, an initiative that reaches out to a whole bunch of students who have diverse skills and talents and bring something unique to Marist.  It includes students who may not be represented right now because that’s just their personality or something they’re not into right now, but we want to reach out to those students and get them involved in a very unique team that lasts throughout the year, every year.  It’s essentially going to serve as a resource for other students to show them that they can come to them for any advice or participate in other activities.  It’s like selecting your key players at Marist and building a really strong team.  One of the side things is that we really want to help out students on campus, such as those in the band, to get more recognition.  Band members don’t give very much recognition for all that they do so we’re going to launch an initiative to get the band students recognized and awarded for their hard work.  Band is just one of the many student populations we want to help on campus. We’re also passionate about helping Fashion Inc. expand the fashion labs.  We know who to go to, how things operate at Marist and how fast we can get it done. 

NT: Another thing, regardless of if it’s a main project or a side initiative, something we want to work on is communication and the way it is structured.  We need a good flow of communication between the administration, us and the students and students need to have the appropriate channels to address concerns to us.  We want to work with administration to make sure we are gathering information to pass along to students respectively. 

HC:  What are your thoughts on working with the new president?

BH: We’re really looking forward to working with the new President, David Yellen.  Especially because if I become SBP and Nick VP it’s the perfect opportunity because we have a fresh team, fresh president and we will really be able to sit down, talk and be able to generate ideas on how to expand Marist to the way we think it should be and the way students want.

NT: I met him briefly and he’s obviously an intelligent man and has plenty of accolades, but he is really open to working with us and wants to hear our ideas. 

HC: On a lighter note, what is your favorite Marist memory?

NT:  Honestly, I think one of my favorite Marist moments was this past summer.   The time frame at the end of the semester was that I went home for probably two days, and then I came back and I had a pretty busy beginning to my summer.  I attended summer session for student government, which was pretty fun and opened my eyes to a lot of new things.  Right after that, I ended up working graduation which was really cool to see.  Then, I was a part of Orienation this past year as well which started a few days after graduation.  Working Orientation was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had.  It was not what I expected at all and totally blew my expectations out of the water. 

BH: My favorite memory at Marist was that first week of school my freshman year.  I can’t describe in words the feeling I got when I actually started getting involved and going to the block party that first night and meeting more of my class.  It was so great that everyone came together and it was like we were all one big friend group and united and that was the coolest experience I’ve had. 

HC: What would high School you tell college you?

BH: I would tell myself to not loose sight of the person that I really am.  There was a point during sophomore year where I got really wrapped up on friend groups and I did not give back in the way that I used to and I wasn’t as involved so I want to stay humble and true to who I am.

NT: I would just say not to forget family and friends that are closest to you.  I know time and time again, especially with my mom I get so busy I forget to text her back or return her call and it’s important to just take that time out of your day and shoot a quick text or a phone call.

HCKeep calm and call your mom, kids! Okay, last question, who would win in a fight between you?

BH: Me.  He’s very ticklish so I would tickle him until he surrendered.

NT: Not to mention you have a black belt…

BH: Sometimes he has tried karate on me.  His kicks have gotten a lot higher so that’s an advantage.

HC: Are you going to karate chop your opponents in this election?

BH: I’m going to give a swift kick and a KIAH!!!!!

Click here to cast your vote in the 2016 Marist Student Government Elections. Online voting is open until 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 2.

Hi! My name's Kaleigh I'm a Senior at Marist College studying Psychology and Special Education.