Career

Career Hunt Advice For Graduating Seniors During These Uncertain Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

The spring semester of senior year was supposed to be a time where we could start our futures.  While our college careers were drawing to a close, our professional careers were just about to begin.  Job hunting would have been a major part of our spring, and we would be obtaining our first professional jobs.  

The current state of society has put a plug in many of our plans, making job hunting a much more uncertain and stressful practice.  We may not hear back after applying, and we might struggle to find positions due to the economic turmoil the country is facing and will continue to face in the following years.  I’ve received some advice recently, and this advice has helped me to remain calm during this stressful time.  There are things we can do to launch our careers, even if it wasn’t the original path we anticipated.

1) Network

Connect with professionals on LinkedIn, and arrange interviews!  This is a great time to get to know more about companies you’re interested in. 

2) Seek Work For Non-Profits

Find projects that you can take in to refine your craft.  This is a great thing to put on your resume, and to make sure that you keep up with the industry you’re seeking work in!

3) Prepare Your Career Materials

Refine your resume and cover letters.  This is a great time to make sure your materials are the best they can be.

4) Keep Applying, and Don’t Get Frustrated

Don’t give up!  Even if things take a little longer than you’d hoped.  Everything will work out if you keep working for it.  Stay positive, and when you need a break, take a week to decompress.

Elizabeth is a senior at Marist College studying Public Relations and Advertising.  Currently serving as the Editor in Chief and CC of the Marist Chapter, she enjoys writing about entertainment, music, lifestyle, and news.