Campus Cutie: Mike McClatchey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Year: Junior

Major: Business (Finance)

Hometown: Freeport, New York

Relationship Status: Single

HC: Why did you choose to come to Marist?

MM: Well, it was between the University of Scranton and Marist. I had already visited Scranton and just assumed that I was going there. But when I visited Marist a week later, I really felt a connection with the school. Marist Beach was in full effect that day, so just seeing everyone having a blast made me really want to be a part of this community.

HC: Favorite memory so far at Marist?

MM: Pretty much every day has been a memory in itself, it’s so hard to pick from just one. Marist Beaching it every spring, closing out the library that time I forgot to do a research paper when it was due the next morning – I’ve just had so many incredible/ridiculous experiences that it’s hard to pick just one.

HC: You’ve made your mark on campus as a student DJ! How did you first get into DJing?

MM: Thank you! It started off as me just playing music off of iTunes at parties freshman year. I found that I wanted to do more than just make a playlist of songs, so I downloaded this software called Virtual DJ and fiddled around on that. I really enjoyed it, so I went out and bought a DJ controller, and the rest is history!

HC: Do you plan on DJing after college, or is it more of a hobby?

MM: What started off as a hobby (which I didn’t want to leave my dorm room) eventually snowballed into playing at clubs, bars, and parties at least twice a month. So yeah, I definitely plan on DJing after college. However, over past year I started producing, which is where I’m placing a greater focus. Creating music has always been in my blood. I plan on (hopefully) putting some originals out before the end of junior year.

HC: Who are some of your biggest inspirations?

MM: It’s not really “who” but “what.” I take inspiration from the world around me. I’m really inspired by all my friends and peers with the cool things that they’re doing in life. My goals and dreams are a huge motivator too, they really push me to get up and work. Lastly, nature and my surroundings. I know it’s really stereotypical to think that nature is beautiful, but have you seen the flocks of girls taking pictures of our sunsets here? Their pictures really show how nice our campus and the Hudson River are. There’s something to be said about the world we live in.

HC: If you were invisible for a day, what would you do?

MM: I’d go through my main man Jimmy C (the library for those less cultured) and “sack” a bunch of backpacks. Urban Dictionary defines this as “to turn another person’s backpack inside out after removing all the contents. Then, the contents are placed back inside and the backpack is re-zipped inside out.” It’s a minor inconvenience on the person, plus it’s super hard to do if the person hasn’t stepped away from their desk. 10 out of 10 times the result is amazing.

HC: Why should a girl swipe right for you on Tinder?

MM: I’m actually a part of gluten free singles. My hobbies on it are talking about pasta and bread. It’s been rather unsuccessful so far.

HC: Favorite pick up line?

MM: Ah, the standard question asked of every campus cutie! No way am I giving away a great line that took a lot of effort, rejection, and some crying to craft. The ladies of Marist will have to find out on their own what this incredible line is.

My name is Alexa! I'm a junior at Marist College!