Campus Celeb: Tara Higgins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Her Campus Marist was lucky enough to sit down with one of Marist’s busiest students, Tara Higgins! Tara is a senior Math major from Westbrook, Connecticut. Besides being a math major, she is also working towards a paralegal certificate, works as one of the head technicians at the Student Activities office, serves as President of the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, and just directed MCCTA’s dinner theatre production of Death and Taxes. We’re out of breath just hearing about it! Tara is one of the most dedicated members of our college community, and found the time to answer a few of our questions.

HC: What is the most rewarding part of being President of MCCTA?

TH: Watching rehearsals and seeing our members having fun. This is the goal of any club, but especially a performance club. They are here to do what they love, and it’s our job to make sure they’ve having a great time.

HC: You seem like you’re one of the busiest bees on this campus. How do you balance everything?

TH: I have no idea! But I definitely had to learn to delegate, which was very hard for me. But it’s really the only way to approach things; let other people do their jobs too. I also learned how to say no to certain things. I always make sure to carve out time in my schedule to do homework, which is key.

HC: What was it like directing an entirely student managed show?

TH: We have a lot of freshmen in our cast, and this was their first experiencing performing at Marist. Luckily, I had a junior and a senior in the cast as well who helped make the transition for them smooth. We also had a really short period to rehearse the show, only about two and a half weeks and fifteen rehearsals. We had no choice but to add in many of the elements in at the last minute, but luckily everything came together.

HC: What was like it like to sit back and watch the show once the process was over?

TH: I had so much pride in my actors. I know the obstacles they’ve faced and it was amazing to see how far they have come. It was also nice to just sit back and watch without worrying about all of the other aspects of the production. It was very funny and enjoyable!

Thanks Tara for all you do for MCCTA and the Marist Community!

Photo Credit: Marissa Russo

Marissa is a current Senior at Marist College studying English with a Literature concentration. She has minors in Psychology and Theatre, and is working towards a certification in Adolescent Education. Her biggest passion is the performing arts, specifically theatre. She is currently serving as the Vice-President of the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, and the President of the Marist Chapter of Alpha Psi Omega, the National Theatre Honor Society. She is also an active member of the Marist Singers. After studying abroad in London last fall, Marissa has an obsession with all things British, and is itching to continue traveling the world. She is honored to be a Campus Correspondent for this chapter of Her Campus, especially with Nicole as a supporter and partner through this entire process.