Campus Celeb: Brooke DiPalma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

In addition to bringing her mini fridge and bedding to campus for her freshman year, Brooke DiPalma packed up some big ideas from her high school that are being brought to attention this week at Marist. Brooke is the freshman class president and the founder of P.S. I Love You Day. Although 2015 will be the event’s fifth year, Marist is welcomed it to campus for the first time on Friday, Feb. 13. If you are wondering why the icing for cupcake Tuesday in the cafeteria was purple last week or what the hashtag #PSILoveYou is all about, look no further than HC Marist’s interview with Brooke.

HC: So you are a freshman at Marist. How has your college experience here been so far?

BD: My college experience here at Marist has been indescribable so far. It’s been fast, new, exciting, challenging and definitely one to remember. My favorite part would definitely have to be all the new people I’ve met and continue to meet each day. I feel like I’m making friends that I know I’m going to have for forever.

HC: What made you want to run for class president?

BD: As soon as I heard about this opportunity, I knew that I wanted to do it. I was president of my middle school, my high school class and my high school student senate. I loved all those positions so much and was able to achieve so much with them that I felt inspired and eager to try for Class of 2018 President

HC: Tell us about your event, P.S. I Love You Day.

BD: P.S. I Love You Day is held every second Friday of February, making it Feb. 13 this year. On this day we ask everyone to wear purple to represent standing up against bullying, help those who are suffering from depression and ultimately prevent suicide. I hope that on this day you will see a sea of purple and hear nothing but positive messages that make you feel special, loved and remind you, you truly are never alone.

HC: How did students here get involved?

BD: On Wednesday, from 7 to 11 p.m. we co-hosted an open mic night with SPC. In addition, all Resident Hall Councils drew on post-it notes to hang up around their resident halls, so definitely be in touch with them. Finally, on Friday from 1 to 5 p.m. we encouraged all clubs to bring a poster saying that their club supports P.S. I Love You Day to the photo booth that was located in the student center lounge on the third floor. If they did, then they received a community service point. Also, we encouraged all students just to come down, enjoy the day and take a photo with all the purple props.

HC: Have there been any challenges with bringing the event from your high school to Marist?

BD: The Marist population is much larger than my high school population. Although I came from a pretty large high school with a graduating class of 742, there are well over 5,000 undergraduates here, as well as a much larger faculty. Luckily, the faculty seems to be extremely supportive of it [P.S. I Love You Day] so that makes it much more exciting.

HC: What do you hope that participants will take away from the event?

BD: I hope that all participants feel a sense of inclusion, love, hope and light. When they see people wearing purple on this day, I hope that they feel like they’re never alone. It may just be one day, but when you truly feel like your life, your love and all that you have to offer really does matter to the world, your entire perspective will be altered.

HC: Anything else you’d like to share about P.S. I Love You Day?

BD: Together, we really can love the lives that we live. Let us set the precedent for all other colleges, let’s stop being bystanders, and begin to stand up. Let us talk about suicide so that it does not occur here. If we don’t talk, then who will?

Lizzy is a co-campus correspondent at Marist College where she is majoring in communication and minoring in studio art, spanish and psychology. She runs for the cross country and track teams, is a member of the dance ensemble and PRSSA and serves as the Class of 2016 President. Lizzy is a self-diagnosed peanut butter addict and a fan of snail mail. Follow her on Twitter @ellpeps.