Campus Celeb: Alex Warfel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Major: Business/Finance

Minor: Math

Hometown: Doylestown, PA

Year: Junior

HC: If you won an Oscar what would it be for?

AW: Best actor in an Indie Film because I think Indie films really channel the artistic community a lot better than anything that comes to a commercial theatre.  Commercial theatres have huge budgets and they’re just trying to make money.  The Indie films, they’ve got a lot of soul and passion to them.  If you go through Netflix and you watch some of them, like Little Miss Sunshine, my god, that’s a beautiful movie.  You don’t get that kind of beauty in commercial theatres. 

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

AW: Nothing. (laughs) Just kidding.  I’m the VP of my fraternity, Zeta Psi New Delta, I’m an RA in Leo (Shout out to the 3rd Floor),  Deputy Vice President of Academic Affairs in Student Government…I’ve got a name badge and business cards to show for it J. 

HC: What are you most proud of?

AW: The friends that I have made at this college and the people that I know.  All of my friends are doing really powerful things with their lives and it’s great to see them succeed.  It’s amazing to see them set goals and then accomplish them and they’re just a great group of people.

HC: Zeta Psi or die?

AW: Yeah, absolutely.  It’s a great organization.  We’re not the typical fraternity and we strive to be better and strive to go.  If you’re interested, rush in the Spring.  Little plug.   

HC: What do you like most about Marist?

AW: What does DJM always say?  Beautiful college in the historic Hudson Valley.  It’s got a great business program and has a lot of great connections outside of school which is nice.  It’s a very value oriented college. 

HC: Something on your bucket list

AW: I want to visit all continents on Earth and end it with Antarctica. Oh, no, no, no.  I want to go to the moon, THAT’S my bucket list.  By the time we’re 40, it’ll be a plausible thing we can do.  I want to take a selfie with every person on it. Like the Apollo missions where they take a picture of the Earth and in theory, you get every single person in the picture. 

HC: How would you describe your style?

AW: Stolen. But actually Seattle hipster, Pennsylvania hick. 

HC: Biggest turn off in a girl?

AW: Uhm, GPA. No- if a girl can’t hold a conversation it’s a pretty big deal.  If they can’t talk about anything not relating to Darby’s on Friday. Substance.  Having no substance.    

HC: What do you look for in a girl?

AW: She has to know the alphabet and she has to have a pulse.  I don’t know…genuine, down to earth, and is interested in their field of study (passionate).  Likes to hike, likes to go on road trips.  I don’t exclude a lot of people.  Cares about the environment and cares about social inequality…the issues…she’s voting in 2016!

HC: Do you have a piece of advice for freshman?

AW: Reach out and talk to as many people as you can.  Be friendly and don’t bang a lot of people, that’s just a bad move. 

HC: We heard you love coffee, what’s your favorite brew?

AW: Pipe Place, Medium Roast- Starbucks.

HC: So are you a Dunkin guy or a Starbucks guy?

AW: Starbucks guy.  Dunkin is cheap and efficient. Starbucks is more expensive, but better quality.  I’m actually a Starbucks girl.

HC: Tell us something interesting about yourself;

AW: I can say the ABC’s backwards both sober and not.

HC: Tell us about your passion for cars

AW: It started when I was little.  My dad had an old army truck and it was the coolest thing in the world.  I used to sit in the front seat and we would go to Burger King.  I just liked being around that particular car and then I got my first car when I was 16.  It wad a stick shift orange beetle and I got a lot of shit for it in High School because it is kind of a girls car.  But I loved it.   Then my brother got his first car around the same time and we started driving around, cruising.  My brother is a mechanical engineer at Lafayette so he’s been into cars even before I was and we used to watch the races and we started talking about it more and more. My best friend from back home, Joe, got his commercial drivers license around the same time too, so he as driving all of the semi-trucks, and dump trucks and things like that so it was something we all had in common and would talk about. I started working for Ford last summer so I would get in all kinds of Fords all the time.  New Fords, new Lincolns, and it was just nice to see all these different design ideas.  It’s just so cool that a car is 16,000 parts that all work together.  It’s a living, breathing, organism. It’s just really interesting.  

Hi! My name's Kaleigh I'm a Senior at Marist College studying Psychology and Special Education.