Bugsy Gives Exclusive Look at New VR Music Video

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Bugsy recently released her new single “Fuckboy.” In a time when female empowerment is everything, Bugsy, an LA-based hip-hop and pop artist, stands up against catcalling and “fuckboys” who have taken advantage of women. Not only does this single stand up for women and encourage listeners to fight the patriarchy, but her music video gives viewers a unique 3D experience. I had that opportunity to ask Bugsy about the inspiration behind this venture. Make sure you check out of Bugsy’s “Fuckboy”

The “Fuckboy” music video uses distinctive elements to display its message. Working with his team in MakingXR for over a year on this project, director and artist Nir Netzer effectively used his artistry to engage the audience. Netzer’s past successes include a variety of videos for companies like Disney, DreamworksTV and Oxygen Network.

The “Fuckboy” music video incorporates 3D art, compositing and audio-reactive elements in a VR environment, and these different elements work together so that the audience can turn the screens on their devices to achieve a 3D effect. “Fuckboy” can be viewed in its 3D effect on a variety of platforms, including Facebook and YouTube in stereo, and on the headsets in spatial sound. This means that even if one is not watching the music video but is listening to the single through a headset he or she will still be able to hear it in spatial—the sound will come across in the position Bugsy is in.

Source: Myke Wilken

Q&A with Bugsy:

Q: What influenced you to produce the song “Fuckboy”?

A: About two years ago, I sat down to write a song with my friends Evan and Rocky, and told them I wanted to write a song about white hot feminine rage. They laughed and said they were down. I had just had an experience with a guy in the music industry who said he wanted to work with me, but really just wanted to hook up. I told my cousin Megan about it, and she said, “he sounds like a Fuckboy to me…” The second she said that I knew I had to write this song.

Q: Have you released any other music with a similar theme?

A: Yes! At this point, I have written songs about sexual assault, catcalling, slut shaming and more coming out on my new EP. It’s my goal to find any nooks and crannies of women’s issues, that haven’t yet fully been addressed.

Q: What is your main goal for this song?

A: My main goal for this song is to give women the opportunity to express the anger that they’ve ever felt towards a guy who’s fucked them over. I haven’t always expressed my anger as deeply as I wanted to. This song made me feel like I could let it out. If there’s any woman or girl out there who feels the same way, I hope this song brings her emotional liberation, and to truly believe that it’s ok to call a guy on their bullshit!

Q: What are the major takeaways you want your followers to have after listening to her new single?

A: I want the takeaway for my fans to be that it’s OK and actually cool to express what you’re feeling and be honest about it. If it’s honest, don’t be afraid to say it!

Q: Who is the intended audience for “Fuckboy”?

A: This song really goes out to my ladies, especially in high school and college, where a lot more situations of sexual complexities start to arise. But really it’s for all women, of all ages. I will say, what’s been surprising, is the number of guys who have found it hilarious as well. It’s got the humor in it, which makes it easier to digest.

Q: How did you get into music?

A: I have always been a musician since I was really little. My mom is an elementary school music teacher and my dad is a high school band director. I joined choir when I was five years old and didn’t stop until age 18 when I went off and did one year of college as an opera major, of all things! After that year, I knew it was time to move out to LA and pursue my career. To be honest, I wanted to come to LA and work in the music industry since I was about seven years old.

Q: Who/what have been your greatest musical influences?

A: It’s a little all over the map, but I’d say my first three major musical influencers were Aretha Franklin, Barbra Streisand and Carole King. My mom raised me on a lot of soul and 70s music. And even though I sang jazz and classical/opera for most of my young life, doing honor choirs, and numerous jazz festivals/gigs, pop has always been my true love. I was about eight or nine when Missy Elliott’s album, “The Cookbook” came out, and I was hooked. She has been a major influence for me as a female artist and as a female rapper. My brother got me into the Slim Shady LP too, and since then I’ve always been a fan. When I rap, my flow definitely feels inspired by Eminem. I think he’s a freaking genius lyricist. And I love that he’s just not afraid to say some crazy shit.

Q: Why was 3D art chosen for the “Fuckboy” music video?

A: It was very random actually, how it came about. I met Nir Netzer at a party one night, and we hit it off; he mentioned that he was working in VR and I mentioned that I was a musician. He asked to hear some of my stuff, and I pulled up the link to Fuckboy. He said he’d listen later, and we didn’t get a chance to exchange info before we parted ways. Two weeks pass, and I get a notification that this guy is looking for me. I go to his page and see that he’s posted, “to the gods of Facebook, hello. I’m looking for this girl. Her name’s Bugsy and this is her song. I really want to do a VR music video for this song and I can’t find her info! Please tell her if you find her, that I am looking for her, and the last 100 plays have been from me.” To this day, it’s one of the most exciting things that’s ever happened to me in my career. The way it happened was so natural, and we’re such good friends to this day.

Q: How has the production of a 3D music video differed from the production of a 2D music video?

A: It definitely took me a minute to wrap my head around the idea that the camera would be showing every angle of everything! What’s cool about it being a 360 video is that there are things happening from every direction: from above you, below you, in front, behind, and on the sides. You can watch the Fuckboy music video a thousand times, and there will still be details that you haven’t seen yet. We wanted to take advantage of all the extra space and feature as many women in those spaces as possible. The other aspect of it that was different than what I was used to is that we were essentially doing one-takes of different sections of the song, instead of a million takes of different shots and then editing them together. It made every section we shot much more special. One of my favorite aspects of it being VR was also the freedom we had in the green screen world. Nir told me that we had complete freedom to create whatever we wanted in this world, and we really took advantage of that creative freedom.

Q: What are some of the biggest challenges you see in society today? How do you incorporate these challenges in her music?

A: One of the biggest challenges I see in our society today is people not feeling free to express their difficult emotions, even to themselves. In many women, I see the desire to let out frustration and anger, but the instinct to pull back and push it down out of fear of its power. I have felt this way a lot before and still do, but I definitely released a lot of it in this song and ironically, don’t feel as angry anymore! I want to help inspire people to let their anger out so that it can be released, and they can finally have peace. I thought for a long time that if I expressed my emotions in full, that I would set everything on metaphorical fire and everything would feel even tenser. It has turned out to be the exact opposite. The more I’ve allowed myself to feel, the less power the feelings have turned out to have on me. The song, “Fuckboy,” really helped me through this process.

Q: In addition to writing a song about women empowerment, how else have you been involved in the feminist movement?

A: I went to the Women’s March last year, and it was one of the most inspiring things I’ve ever experienced. I engage with a lot of female empowerment groups on Instagram and Facebook. And I’m also constantly surrounding myself with badass female artists/musicians who are advocating for our equal rights as well. I’ve done projects and shows with Lucy LaForge of Lucy & La Mer, where female empowerment and rights for the LGBTQ+ community’s representation has been at the forefront. My goal is to get more involved with activist groups and contribute in any way I can. One day, I hope to help end the taxing of all feminine hygiene products. I think it’s ridiculous that they’re taxed at all! As I get older, I am wanting to get more into the deeper political aspects, and maybe even run for Congress someday. I don’t know exactly what my future is going to look like, but I do know that I want to help make a difference in the total liberation and empowerment of women everywhere.

Source: Myke Wilken

Olivia M.

Marist '21

Olivia is a student at Marist College with majors in both English and Education.