Style

Bang for Your Buck: A Guide to Used Clothing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

For some reason, there is this stigma around used clothing and I am done with it. Seriously, it is absolutely amazing how much money you can save by purchasing used clothes! It also helps reduce your ecological footprint. And personally, my favorite thing about used clothing is that you can find some really cute and bold fashion favorites! Whoop! Whoop! So why not put in the extra bit of energy towards shopping for used clothes and adding to your good karma while you’re at it? Today, you are going to get a quick guide to some of my favorite places to look and some tips to getting the best bang for your buck. Pshttt, my friends do not call me the EBay Queen for nothing.

1. Thrift Shops: Okay, so this is the most expected, but honestly they are amazing. Make sure to set aside a couple hours, bring along some friends, and make it an adventure. I suggest heading in with no idea of what you’re looking for but leaving your wallet in the car in exchange for a ten to twenty dollar bill in your pocket. That way you are open to whatever you find, but do not blow that budget. Keep in mind, tailoring is a thing and whatever does not fit perfectly can always get shortened, tightened, etc. Get ready to bargain once you have your stuff. This is one of the few stores where you barter to get that price lower so make sure to use that!

2. eBay: This a personal favvvv. This site is online, making it super easy to surf items without ever leaving your bed. Search up any brand and the results come pouring out. In preferences, make sure to set “Pre-owned” and either “US Only” or within “100 miles of [zipcode]”. The location setting is optional, but in my experience, it is the best way to guarantee you are getting quality clothing without a huge carbon footprint from shipping. And the watch list is seriously your best friend. I always wait until the end of the auction to make sure to get the lowest deal possible. If available, make sure to use the “Best Offer” option. I tend to start fairly lower than the asking price so there is room to bargain. And and and… always sort from lowest to highest price. No use falling in love with an expensive item when there is a equally amazing one at a cheaper price. Huh, huh, learning a couple tricks?

3. Poshmark I tend to find plenty of designer and good brands on here from people just looking to clean their closets. Make sure to select “Available”. Last thing you need is a piece so bad only to see it has been sold! You have been warned, this site does tend to have expensive shipping so make sure to look at that before heading to the checkout.

4. Garage Sales: Seriously, summer is coming! There is no reason for why you cannot walk around your neighborhood with a reusable water bottle and a ten dollar bill in another, prepared for all the sales in someone’s front yard. This is where you find the real gems, under at least 3 high school t shirts and an old cheer uniform. Make sure to know your measurements or discuss with your neighbors about trying it on before financing the purchase!

Fashion and trends are always changing and let’s be honest, we are all broke college students. Used clothing has been my solution. I have no shame, I promise at least 90% of my clothing is from one of the above places. I hope you’ll be downloading that Ebay app in a few seconds and joining me. Until next time!

Sarah Dorothy Lynch is a junior at Marist College studying Journalism and Public Relations with a passion for writing, travel, and bread (all varieties). If she ever met Emma Stone, she would likely keel over.