Alumni Spotlight: Susan Lozinski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

We all have that one teacher, professor, mentor, coach, etc., who changed our lives. In one way or another they have changed the way we learn, altered the way we experience knowledge and showed us a new way to look at our future. Marist College alum and high school teacher, Susan Lozinski, was that person and educator for me. She was my teacher during my junior and senior year in high school and her lessons continue to instill inspiration within me today.

“Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing.” ~ Benjamin Franklin

Susan Lozinski tackles both portions of the above quote as she teaches English literature and encourages students to explore all of their potential. She prepares kids as they enter into their adult lives, encouraging them to explore their multi–faceted minds and hearts to develop the best version of themselves.

Lozinski attended Marist from 1986 to 1990, earning her Bachelor of Arts degree as an English Literature major and Education minor. From 1992 to 1995, she was enrolled in the graduate program at Marist and received her Master’s degree in Educational Psychology. She also worked at the college as a Mentor from 1992 to 1998.

While working toward her undergraduate degree, Susan Lozinski was involved in the Marist College Club of Theatre Arts, MCCTA, and was the club’s president during her junior and senior years. She was also a proud member of the Student Government Association, SGA.

While at Marist, Lozinski enjoyed many of her courses including the College Writing course she currently teaches, as well as her American Literature classes. She also recalls a History of Film class that sparked an unknown passion for film within her. Lozinski knew that teaching English was the perfect fit for her for many reasons. She was, and still is, an avid reader. Lozinski also felt that the high school level was a perfect age for her to teach. “I like teaching juniors and seniors because they’re really ready to learn, and I like that I’m setting them up for success in college.”

Lozinski admits that her favorite part of attending college at Marist includes the friends she made and the people she met.  Her opportunity to work with the staff at Marist College created a life-altering experience; namely, Gerry Cox, Deb DiCaprio and Bob Lynch. She states that these people have greatly contributed to the person she is today. “They encouraged me to get involved, gave me freedom and the responsibility to develop my self-confidence and leadership skills. I owe a lot to these wonderful role models and friends. They allowed me to become a true ‘teacher.’”

Lozinski always knew she’d one day become a teacher. “Even as a little kid,” she recalls, “I would play school.” Now, her favorite course to teach her high school students is the Writing for College course offered through Marist. “I LOVE teaching college writing because it’s authentic, real writing about topics that kids feel passionately about,” she begins, “The essays are so good because they are so invested in the topic.  I love it when they see how good they can be as writers. That confidence is invaluable as they go to college.”

Upper level high school education has always been a main focus for Lozinski. She believes the best part of teaching high school kids is seeing the impact she has on their lives.

It’s “the knowledge that I am positively effecting the lives of thousands of kids. How amazing is that? It’s an honor to be able to do what I do and make a living at it. After 20 plus years of teaching, I still love my job. Every day rewards me. It fills my soul and sense of purpose in this world.”

As many of us enter into the “life after college” phase of our lives, it’s inspiring to see someone so passionate about their occupational choices. We can only hope to feel as enriched and motivated by our future careers as Lozinski does.

Though, she does admit that the biggest lesson she has learned thus far is the necessity to separate your job from your life. Lozinski claims that she could continue to correct essays and plan lessons in every spare moment that she has during the school year, and through the summer months. But she doesn’t, she refuses to.

“Whatever you do,” Lozinski states, “you need to take time away and LIVE.  Your job is not your whole life.”

Hi everyone! My name is Francesca, but most people just call me Frankie, and I'm a junior at Marist College. I major in Communications, with concentrations in both Journalism and Advertising, and I am minoring in Photography. I have just joined the Her Campus Family this fall, and I'm super excited to get involved. On campus, I work as a student assistant in the School of Professional Programs, and I am also part of the Dance Ensemble. You can often find me daydreaming in a coffee shop, planning my next worldly adventure, or scribbling away in a journal.