The 6 Types of People You Will Encounter Over Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Thanksgiving is easily the best holiday out there. It’s a day solely dedicated to eating far too much and honestly who doesn’t love that?? Thanksgiving break is also the first time most people go home from college for the semester. With the holiday season beginning there are so many mixed emotions about returning home. No matter what your holiday plans are you are bound to run into at least one of these people and heres what you’ll talk about.

1) Your Best Friends

Finally! After a long three-four months of being separated you are finally back in your basement with you best friends. Many tears will be shed as you think: How was I able to live without these girls for so long? All is right in the world again.

You’ll Talk About: Roommates, boys, parties, greek life, tailgates, literally anything under the sun. By the end of the night you’ll need an inhaler and a large water bottle to calm you down after nonstop talking for 5+ hours. You’ll spend the night talking over one another  and laughing to yourself when people rave about their college because let’s be honest, none of their schools compare to yours.

2) Your Crush

College has done him well…like really well. He’s probably a frat star now at a big name school or plays on a college sports team. He was your crush in highschool and now he’s gotten even better. Maybe you were friends in school or maybe he was the most popular guy you drooled over from a distance.

You’ll Talk About: NOTHING. You won’t speak because you are too tongue tied, you’ll simply message your best friends about how much HOTTER he’s gotten in three months. Thankfully he decided to grace you with his presence at the Thanksgiving football game.

3) Your Ex-

The breakup was hard, trust me I know. Thankfully the freshman fifteen has nothing on you and you new found love for the gym. Or more thankfully, it’s cold out so you can wear baggy sweaters to hide all the ice cream and fires you’ve been eating. Either way it will be hard seeing them for the first time. Even if your tried the whole “lets be friends” deal, its’ never a good day to see your ex.

You’ll Talk About: How great your doing in college! How happy and independent you are! And almost anything else you need to say to convince yourself you’ve moved on. He doesn’t need to know that you’ve moved on or that you still wear his old baseball sweatshirt cause it smells like him.

4) The People Stuck in High School-

There’s always that one kid who still thinks they’re in high school. You’ll see them at the Thanksgiving football game decked out in school spirit still sitting in the student section. Chances are they stayed local for college and run back to your high school every chance they get. Luckily you are NOT this person, you know there’s more out there after high school.

You’ll Talk About: High school memories. This person might ask quickly how you’re liking college but before you even finish the word “great” they’ll chime in with a blast from the past. High school was cool and all but it’s time to move on people.

5) The Girls You Grew Apart From

College happens so quickly, it’s easy to get caught up in your own life and forget about your old friends. Coming home to see them can be awkward. Do you hug and act like everythings ok? Or do you run the other way in Target when you see them?

You’ll talk about: “How do you like school” “I love it” “me too, I’m so happy for you” that will be the extend of that convo. The shorter the better. If you didn’t care to talk to them all semester why start now?? Or you’ll be too busy hiding in Target to talk to them.

And of course…

6) Your Family

What would the holidays be like without the ones you love the most (or at least pretend to tolerate). Nothing says welcome home quiet like your uncle getting too drunk and saying something offensive while your sisters on the couch in a food coma.

You’ll Talk About: Classes, grades, internship, your plans for the next four years. Basically any topic that makes you want to crawl under the table or lock yourself in the bathroom will be brought up.

After spending the week or so at home you’re itching to return to your life at college. Back to normalcy and an abundance amount of studying…I mean, Netflix. Before you know it finals week is over and you’re back home, with the same people.

just another cheesecake enthusiast.