21 Things that Happen When You Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

First things first (I’m the realest), but all Iggy references aside, studying abroad is an experience completely without any comparison. It is simply the greatest thing you can do for yourself if you have any desire at all to see the world and get a glimpse into how others see the world too. Get ready for the weirdest and most exhilarating times of your life and remember to always charge your cell phone lest you should end up in jail…and no mom, this didn’t happen to me.

1. “You’re from New York??!?!? Why the hell did you leave? That’s the coolest city ever!!” “No, not the city – the state.” “Oh, that’s cool too.” (Inevitably there comes a point where you stop correcting them, and your home just becomes the closest city to you).

2. Let’s not forget about the random historical facts. “Oh, Boston, like the tea party!”

3. You are torn between wanting to literally eat out for every meal because ~ when in Rome ~ but also needing to save money (so that you can spend it later, duh).

4. You love your American friends, but are also dying to meet locals and not just be a tourist because, um, who likes tourists… yea let me think – NOBODY.

5. With that said, you also can’t stop taking selfies everywhere you go… so much for trying not to be touristy.

6. You become overwhelmed with the glory of not having to tip or add tax to what you’re buying – what you see is what you get and #it #is #beautiful.

7. You realize how small the world is when you meet your best friend’s cousin in the middle of a club at one in the morning 3000 miles from home. Yup. That actually happened.

8. You’ll probably have several conversations about American politics (especially guns) and the likes of Obama, Bernie Sanders and definitely, DEFINITELY Donald Trump. “Bernie Sanders is the MAN!” (Yes, this was a real thing that was said to me).

9. You can now confirm the fact that, yes, life without football is in fact no life at all.

10. You’ll see places and sights and views that you thought only existed on postcards. But then you’re there, and not dreaming, and you soak it all in because no postcard even comes close to the truth.

11. You learn what it takes to really make a friendship or relationship work with time differences and less than ideal Wi-Fi connections. 

12. You become the best damn travel agent the world has ever known. Hostels? Check. Flights? Check. Getting lost? Inevitable.

13. You will probably attempt to imitate the local accent to locals at some point, and you will miserably fail. It’s okay, just stick to being an American – don’t hurt your brain.

14. You jump on opportunities that you wouldn’t even give a second thought to back at home, and do things that you never in a million years dreamed of doing. 

15. You have tough days too.  Maybe you feel a little homesick or miss a certain someone or get bad news. No one’s invincible, and don’t feel bad for feeling bad, even if you’re in the middle of an incredible experience – these things happen. 

16. You do a little happy dance every time someone asks your for directions or doesn’t immediately pick up on your accept or Americanisms. Mission accomplished.

17. You gain perspective into the way people outside America view our history, our wars, our mistakes, etc. and how they view theirs as well.

18. You also realize how much influence America has on, well, everything. Our TV shows, movies, actors, songs; they’re all popular and well-known outside of our country and most of us have never seen a foreign film in our life.

19. You learn to appreciate home a little more, and the people who make it worth coming back for. 

20. Similarly, you learn that home is not synonymous with the place you grew up, but wherever you feel free to be your best self and live your best life. I know, for me, I will always call Dublin home, long after I leave.

21. But mostly you learn that you are capable of so much more than you thought. You are strong and resourceful, lively and quick on your feet, compassionate and determined, and you are not to be underestimated.