10 Reasons Why Chip Gaines is Your Spirit Animal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

For those of you who live under a rock…or more accurately, those who don’t spend their days in their rooms watching 12 hours of HGTV in a row, Chip Gaines is the star of HGTV’s Fixer Upper. Set in the “itty-bitty” town of Waco, Texas, Chip and his wife, Joanna “take the worst house in the best neighborhood, and turn it into their clients’ dream home.” (I have the line from their opening montage memorized. I may have a problem.) According to my father, “these people are way too happy” but whether I am home listening to my mother mimic Joanna’s southern accent when she says, “Y’all ready to see your fixer upper?” or I’m lounging at school after a long day of classes, Chip Gaines never fails to make me smile. 

1. He is adventerous.

Chip is always thinking of the next way to have fun. The consequences of his sometimes silly actions don’t occur to him until after he has eaten a fistfull of cookie dough and feels like he is going to puke. I feel you, Chip. I feel you. 

2. He is curious about life. 

Chip always asks the important questions. He doesn’t want to leave anything un-experienced. 

3. He knows his own worth. 

Chip oftentimes explains that he does all the work on these projects. He demos and rebuilds these houses, and then…

4. He is self-conscious about his body. 

5. And he is not afraid to explain his “problem areas.” 

That’s where we differ, Chip. My belly would not be making a cameo on national television. 

6. When he has a brain blast, he is not afraid to take full credit for his brilliance. 

7. His confidence is inspirational. 

8. He is always willing to do the dirty work. 

9. He doesn’t take life too seriously. 

10. He is not shy about his sweat. 

I never thought I’d meet someone who sweats almost as much as I do. 

Keep being you, Chip. 

Check out Chip and Joanna’s new book, The Magnolia Story, in stores now!