10 Movies to Marathon Watch This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Once a year, store shelves fill with red, white, and pink wrapped candies, teddy bears, and boxes of conversation hearts to signal the arrival of Valentine’s Day. Sure enough, it’s that time of year again, but if you have not made any plans yet, don’t worry, because having a fun Valentine’s Day with friends doesn’t take more than a night of marathon movie watching and some chocolate.

Shakespeare done right       

The first flick worth checking out to watch this Valentine’s Day is Letters to Juliet. Amanda Seyfried stars (she’s grown up so much since Mean Girls!) in this adorable flick you won’t want to miss. In the movie, Seyfried’s character Sophie, a writer, travels to Italy with her fiancé who, once there, proves to be more interested in finding food suppliers for his up-and-coming restaurant back in New York than spending time with his soon-to-be wife. Sophie goes on a solo day trip to Verona and stumbles upon the “Secretaries of Juliet” in Verona, who answer letters that are addressed to Juliet at Juliet’s House. She then goes on a quest, of sorts, around Italy with an elderly English woman and her grandson, Charlie, in hopes of finding her lost lover that is referenced in the elderly woman’s letter from decades ago, and the journey has a shocking conclusion…you have to watch it to find out what happens!

Crazy, stupid, and Ryan Gosling

Next up is Crazy, Stupid, Love. Ryan Gosling. Emma Stone. Steve Carell (amongst others). One insane, intertwined, unbelievable love story. Watch. It.

The OG love story

You might as well put a classic on your to-be-watched list, as well. Prepare to sob (but also swoon over young Leonardo DiCaprio) with Titanic. Chances are you already know the premise of this one pretty well, but in case you don’t, it’s an epic love story between two star-crossed lovers Jack and Rose as they sail from London to New York on the infamous voyage of 1912. Yes, you’ll cry. But yes, you’ll also enjoy viewing this absolutely brilliant movie.

Anything based on a Nicholas Sparks’ book

On the topic of movies that are amazing but also utter sob-fests, add Nicholas Sparks’ flicks The Longest Ride and The Last Song to the list. Who doesn’t want a love like Luke and Sophia’s in The Longest Ride? One of the most entertaining aspects of this movie is the fact that there is a constant parallel between the love story of Sophia and Luke and a couple generations ago. As for The Last Song… the movie stars Australian cutie Liam Hemsworth and Miley Cyrus in their heyday. Once again, the tears will flow, but they’ll be worth it. These movies are equal parts heartwarming, heartbreaking, and adorable.

Flicks that focus on chicks

Luckily, if you’d rather watch a comedy, you can trade in the last three titles for one of these: Pitch Perfect, Pitch Perfect 2, or Bridesmaids. All films, which put the focal point on friendship and laughter, are the perfect addition to your movie marathon.

Films that give you wanderlust 

And last but not least are Leap Year and When in Rome! Both of these films, like Letters to Juliet, take place abroad. When in Rome is a simply adorable film that includes a wedding in Rome, a magical fountain, and a curse that needs to be broken. Leap Year, on the other hand, occurs in Ireland, and tells the story of a woman who decides to go to Dublin to propose to her surgeon boyfriend (whom she has been dating for years without getting engaged to) on Leap Day, which, according to tradition, is when a woman can break the “social norm” and propose to their boyfriend instead of the other way around. However, she meets a slew of fascinating people on her path to get to Dublin, and ends up realizing her heart might not end up belonging to exactly who she originally thought it would.

So there you have it: 10 movies that are guaranteed to brighten up your Valentine’s Day! Of course, all of these movies are best served with some Valentine’s Day treats as well; don’t forget the hot chocolate mix, a bag of marshmallows, and conversation hearts! 

Madison is a senior journalism student at Marist College with an affinity for all things writing, iced coffee, and Great Gatsby related. She is currently a Lifestyles & Her Future writer for Her Campus.