10 Helpful Packing Tips to Make Traveling Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marist chapter.

Tip #1: Roll your clothes. This gives you a ton of more space to pack more stuff!

Tip #2: If you take an item of clothing out of your suitcase and it’s wrinkled, when you take a shower hang it up somewhere in the bathroom with you. The steam should get to the item and get most of the wrinkles out.

Tip #3: Necklaces can get tangled VERY easily. To organize them so they don’t, take a straw, put the chain of the necklace through one side of the straw, so it comes out the other end and then clasp it together. Another item that is super amazing is this plastic jewelry holder called Jewelry Snug. All you do is put any pieces of jewelry between the two plastic flaps and then close it. The plastic should stick together and then there’s no more tangled jewelry!

Tip #4: So earrings don’t get lost or break, take a button and put them through the holes of the button. No more missing earrings!

Tip #5: So for this easy tip, just take a clothes pin and pin the toothbrush perpendicular to the clip. The clothes pin will hold the toothbrush up, so no yucky germs from the counter can reach your toothbrush.

Tip #6: To make sure none of your liquids spill while traveling, put plastic wrap over the top of the opened bottle and then put the cap back on top. Now your liquids will be extra safe so all your stuff isn’t ruined when you open your bag.

Tip #7:  Packing a big hat could be very difficult. No, you don’t need to wear it on the plane or on the way to wherever you’re traveling. Put the hat in the middle of your suitcase and pack everything around it and even stuff the inside with things like socks and underwear. This will hold the shape of the hat all around, so it’s not deformed when you take it out.

Tip #8: Along with stuffing a hat, you can also stuff your shoes and sandals with socks so they won’t deform while packed. This saves some room for more clothes too!

Tip #9: A tip that’s really helpful so you don’t over pack too much is to lay out all your clothes before putting them in your suitcase. Think about how many days your traveling for and bring an outfit for each day. This also makes sure you pack enough pants and tops so you’re not stuck with five shirts and one pair of pants.

Tip #10: If you’re going somewhere for a long time and need to shave, but don’t want to spend money on a razor protector just use a binder clip. Clip it so the flat part is up against the razor blade. This protects the razor blade and your other toiletries.

Caroline is a freshman at Marist college majoring in fashion merchandising. She enjoys fashion, sports, and being with friends and family. In her free time she loves to workout, ride her dads motorcycle, and play with her tea cup poodle. Caroline is also a social media connoisseur as she loves to be up to date on the latest trends. She hopes she can inspire people through her writing and show them you can accomplish anything in life if you're truly passionate about it.