This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manipal chapter.

Why Patriot Act can be the show you can watch this December ~

This weekly show, Patriot Act (an interesting name, if you ask me) is hosted by comedian and former Daily Show correspondent, Hasan Minhaj, who is not without his usual sense of comedic tone and style of speaking, contained in his sharp and jabbing humour,  that targets issues affecting the globe.

Attributable to the name, a basic assumption would be that the affairs discussed by Minhaj would be of America, but his themes go far beyond than just his country; his topics include Philippines, Brazil, India, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, just to name a few.

So what makes his show so different than its competitors? 

The answer to the question is that Minhaj tackles topics which no other ordinary show would possibly take. He gives us a reality check (which is not a rainbow sprinkled ice-cream regrettably, or as Hasan puts it “ Everything sucks if you look close enough at it”) with his iconic ‘correspondence-dinner’ style humour on the condition of the world, and lets us know every single thing hangs precariously in the balance.

Along with the remarkable award-winning graphics, the viewers have something else to look forward to – Deep Cuts. This is a segment Minhaj and his team releases on YouTube just after the show. Here he interacts with the audience and takes questions already written on cue cards. More often than not, these 15-20 minute sessions turn into Hasan getting jabbed, to put it better he gets ‘roasted’ (sorry, my ‘gen z’ self couldn’t help it) and we get to see his entertaining Indian desi side, the person who grew up in a house of traditional immigrant parents and lived among millennial American kids. We are engaged by his equally entertaining audience and sometimes watch Hasan face his biggest fear, talking to and answering desi uncles, which doesn’t compare to the lists of objections entire governments of big and powerful countries have against him.

So, for those having a “Last Week Tonight by John Oliver” obsession, or someone who is just tired of all the Trump news, Patriot Act can be a fresh breeze of air. In a time where everybody is championing willful ignorance over necessary change, this show is not only entertaining to watch but essential to have a new perspective.

Mridula Rao

Manipal '22

A EEE student, somehow surviving with two brain cells. Addicted to stories, desperately waiting for the time when she finds a dragon egg.