This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the leaves are golden and the crisp autumn air is setting in. Not to mention Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back, too! Another all-around pumpkin favorite, one of the most popular fall traditions, is the art of carving pumpkins. Whether you’re a professional or a first-timer, the fun of transforming a handpicked pumpkin into a spooky masterpiece is for everyone! 

Pumpkin carving is the perfect activity for enjoying time with friends or family. It brings your loved ones together; gathering around the table covered in pumpkin guts and seeds is an experience like no other. The best part is having a competition among everyone, seeing who can create the best jack-o-lantern face or the most creative design. Bonus points if there is a prize for the winner! 

Choosing the perfect pumpkin is a significant part of the pumpkin carving experience too. Some of my favorite fall memories involve pumpkin picking, not too small, not too round – trying to find one that is just right! Walking through pumpkin patches in a cozy fall sweater is an unbeatable feeling. And of course, a scenic hay ride and some fresh apple cider donuts are a must to complete the experience properly.

Fall is an exciting time of year, filled with anticipation and a touch of spookiness. Carving pumpkins is a great way to dive into the spooky spirit! There is no better feeling than displaying your masterpiece of a jack-o-lantern on the front porch. When the sun sets and the candle is lit inside the carved pumpkin, there’s a magical transformation. The soft, flickering glow creates an enchanting ambiance, turning your carved creation into a piece of art radiating warmth and mystery. It’s a mesmerizing experience adding a touch of magic to the spooky season!

Lauren Rosenberg

Manhattan '26

My name is Lauren Rosenberg and I am a sophomore exercise science major at Manhattan College! My goal is to become a sports nutritionist; food and sports are some of my favorite things. I also enjoy going to concerts, going on adventures and hanging out with friends!