What We Can (Need to) Learn From This Year’s Emmy’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

We’ve seen it on every prime time television network reporting live from the red carpet, the phenomenon of the “mani-cam” and the “who are you wearing.” Those seemingly innocent fashion questions asked to every female celebrity as she makes her way down the red carpet that imply her success within her career is solely based on how good she looks that night.

Those days are over–

–and no one is mad about it. Because believe it or not, women of the entertainment industry (and of the world, for that matter) are sick and tired of their value being determined by their appearance. This past Sunday’s Emmy’s showed that award shows might become something more than the egocentric questions aimed at women that we’ve seen in the past.

It all began at last year’s Emmy’s when the hashtag #AskHerMore urged the red carpet media to inquire about more than just appearance and fashion to female celebrities, especially because it was the men who were asked serious questions about their careers and such.

This year, Emmy nominee and unofficial queen of the world, Amy Poehler reinforced this movement through her Smart Girls organization. The hashtag #SmartGirlsAsk allowed for the audience to submit questions to the celebrities that were intricate and thought-provoking. In other words, the questions were more than just the typical “who designed your shoes?” The social media campaign was a huge success and Poehler’s organization was able to corner many big-named celebrities, both male and female.

Good work, Amy.

Now if only politics could take precedent and not base their questions and arguments pointed towards the female candidates purely on appearance.

(I’m looking at you, Donald)

Anyway.

Another highlight from Sunday night was Viola Davis who became the first African American woman to win the award for Best Leading Actress in a drama series. Davis’ inspiring speech was moving and empowered all actresses of color while shattering the racial barrier and calling out the discrimination they receive in the media.

“You cannot win an Emmy for roles that are simply not there,” said Davis, bringing her colleagues in the audience to tears.

Award shows may not hold a platform for being a place for social activism, but these ladies showed the world these issues in the media and entertainment industry are way overdue to be resolved. There’s a lot we can learn from this year’s Emmy’s, and with this type of progress we can start seeing a movement towards the type of recognition these fantastic women need and deserve.