jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What It Is Like To Be “On a Break” From a Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

Every relationship hits a certain point where both people, or maybe just one person, wants to step back and decide if what they are doing is best for both of them. It’s not an easy decision to make but sometimes it is for the best. 

The reason the break was even brought up in the first place was because there were some clear issues.

For the first time in months you finally feel like you can be on your own and it feels amazing!

You tell your girlfriends about how both of you are taking time apart and they could not be more excited, because to them, single you is back! 

You act just as excited as they are, but it is all an act. You then decide to deal with your issues in the most appropriate way possible. 

The only problem is that alcohol makes you look like this. You go girl. You can totally handle all of your emotions. 

Your friends want you to meet someone new so they set you up with a guy in their Econ class. He is supposedly super nice but you do not see what they see.

After a few drinks, and talking to creepy guys, you decide it’s a good idea to call him and leave a voicemail that sounds like this.

You keep telling yourself, and everyone you know, that you are totally fine.

It is all okay until you find that one food on the planet that fills the cracks of the heart-chocolate. And yes, the only place you want to eat it in is your bed with your Netflix account open. 

Suddenly, that feeling of being alone sinks in and you start to rethink every decision you have ever made in your relationship.

You decide that feeling sorry for yourself and analyzing the brokenness of your relationship is not healthy. You want your sanity back because being sane was a really wonderful thing. 

After weeks of being apart, dealing with up and down emotions, you finally figure out what you want to do. 

Let’s be serious…people never actually figure out how to fix their problems when they are, “on a break.”