This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Manhattan chapter.

By Samantha Keating

Feminism is a term that has an oddly controversial connotation attached to it. While Oxford Languages defines the word as “the advocacy of women’s rights on the basis of the equality of the sexes”, many people choose to believe ulterior definitions. Some interpret feminism as the belief of women deserving more rights than men or believe feminists to be “man-haters.” I believe feminism to be what it is meant to be, equality for all, regardless of  gender.

I can vividly recall the first time I ever truly learned what feminism and a feminist were. I was in the eighth grade and my teacher showed us a video from Emma Watson’s 2014 speech on feminism. I grew up admiring Watson for her roles in movies I adored such as Harry Potter and The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Hearing her stand tall and speak eloquently on the importance of feminism and being a feminist was life-changing for me. Before Watson, I don’t think anyone ever took the time to explain to me why feminism is so important. After Watson, I proudly refer to myself as a feminist every day.

Watson puts the fight feminist fight into clear terms in her HeForShe U.N. speech, “I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and the decisions that will affect my life.” Any decision or choice made about women or for the benefit of women should include women. Women are entitled to use their voices and to receive the same opportunities as men.

To me, feminism goes beyond the dictionary definition. Feminism is speaking up when men try to shout over you, it is standing your ground and having faith in yourself, it is the entitlement to the word no, it is transcending beyond belief into the territory of knowing that you matter just as much as any man. Feminism is faith. It is waking up and knowing we are one step closer to receiving opportunities equal to what men have. As well as celebrating other women and the accomplishments they individually achieve. As one woman’s success is success for all women.

Samantha Keating

Manhattan '24

Junior at Manhattan College studying English & 5-year elementary and special education!